Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who, (and how) would impose any penalty for shooting out of season deer?

Who, (and how) would impose any penalty for shooting out of season deer?

Following on from another thread about shooting wounded deer.

Who actually Polices the deer seasons?

For instance if you knew somebody was shooting Roe buck out of season when no crops were under threat and no out of season licence held...to whom would you report it?

Or maybe more to the point, if you witnessed someone shooting does out of season, with the likelyhood of making dependant young orphans...to whom would you report it?

Alan

If i thought someone was shooting out of season deer i myself would report it to either police landowner farmer,,,,but if like i did it was an injured deer in my case it had three legs in the middle of summer red hot,maybe ok,,,, what happens when winter comes and the thing cant move,doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 29-01-2016 at 18:38.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by alantoo View Post
    following on from another thread about shooting wounded deer.

Who actually polices the deer seasons?

For instance if you knew somebody was shooting roe buck out of season when no crops were under threat and no out of season licence held...to whom would you report it?

Or maybe more to the point, if you witnessed someone shooting does out of season, with the likelyhood of making dependant young orphans...to whom would you report it?

Alan

the police - its poaching.....

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    the police - its poaching.....
    If they have permission to shoot on the land, or even if it is their own land, would that still be poaching? I must look up the definition of the word.

I understand the report would be to the police, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of proof required and likelihood of prosecution and outcome...fine / loss of licence and etc.

Does it ever happen, and if so, what were the circumstances?

Anybody with knowledge of successful or unsuccessful outcomes?

Alan

p.s. looked up "poaching" and I see what you mean...illegal hunting or killing animals, and only... "usually associated with land use rights" I had thought it was always linked to trespass...
    Last edited by Alantoo; 29-01-2016 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    If they have permission to shoot on the land, or even if it is their own land, would that still be poaching? I must look up the definition of the word.

I understand the report would be to the police, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of proof required and likelihood of prosecution and outcome...fine / loss of licence and etc.

Does it ever happen, and if so, what were the circumstances?

Anybody with knowledge of successful or unsuccessful outcomes?

Alan

p.s. looked up "poaching" and I see what you mean...illegal hunting or killing animals, and only... "usually associated with land use rights" I had thought it was always linked to trespass...

Deer shot out of season( without correct licence) is not legal = poaching
    doubtful anything would happen unless we're caught in possession of said carcass

Wildlife crime officer
    doubt anything would happen as it is so far down the list and the justification lies with the shooter
    to be profiting from it or poaching to carry it out is a different matter

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Wildlife crime officer
    doubt anything would happen as it is so far down the list and the justification lies with the shooter
    to be profiting from it or poaching to carry it out is a different matter
    What he said.
    But nothing ever gets done about it!
    Remember the Sudbury butcher shop fiasco?! That even ended up on the telly, and instead of being prosecuted, he ended up with a mass of free publicity!!
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...window-display
    MS

I doubt that any of us would condone shooting a HEALTHY deer out of season! However there are circumstances where shooting a deer out of season is perfectly justified:- (Taken from page 56 of Deer Stalking DSC Level 1 Training Manual by Donnington Deer Management) An injured or diseased deer may be killed out of season or at night to prevent suffering.
    With that in mind (And if reported to the police) the onus would surely be up to the police (If they close to take any action) to show that the deer was not shot to prevent any further suffering from either injury or disease - Something that they might struggle to be able do unless they had access to the complete carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I doubt that any of us would condone shooting a HEALTHY deer out of season! However there are circumstances where shooting a deer out of season is perfectly justified:- (Taken from page 56 of Deer Stalking DSC Level 1 Training Manual by Donnington Deer Management) An injured or diseased deer may be killed out of season or at night to prevent suffering.
    With that in mind (And if reported to the police) the onus would surely be up to the police (If they close to take any action) to show that the deer was not shot to prevent any further suffering from either injury or disease - Something that they might struggle to be able do unless they had access to the complete carcass.
    Yes I should have made that clearer, mercy killing of an injured animal was not involved in the scenarios I was trying to describe. Neither was the (understandable) error of mistaking one sex for another.

It was what happens or should happen if a number of healthy deer are deliberately shot out of season by an otherwise bona fide stalker on his or her ground.

Alan

And unitentional mistakes - misidentification?
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!