Isle of Lewis

mjf

Evening all,

I'm planning to go up to the Isle of Lewis in September/ October to go stalking for some red stags and fish for salmon and sea trout.

Has anyone been stalking there? How did you find it?

Cheers,
Michael

SD member Caraoch is your man, his other half lives there I believe. I've not stalked there but I've fished (salmon, trout and sea) and I can only say that I'm counting the days before I can get back there. A truly outstanding part of the world,

Cheers, Legolas.

Aye, I saw some good pics from him in the past, in particular for fishing on the lochs. Looks like a real treat! Any thoughts on what tackle is worth bring and any good fly patterns that work there?

It is truly stunning. I've fished the lochs with lightish tackle - 5 weight with some small nymphs - and nothing more than 9 weight for sea trout. Not fished for salmon there.

Great place to go, September/October you are at the back end for salmon/sea trout fishing. Amhuinnsuidhe, Morsgail of Eishken estates would be your best bet, otherwise be very carefull where what you book.

Cheers very much, Rodman! That's very useful! :D

Looking at the past stats, it looks like Sep/Oct is getting towards the end of the season, but still good enough for decent sport. Suppose it depends on the beat etc though.

I think I'm going to be staying on the Grimersta Estate. Any idea what the salmon/ sea trout fishing is like there?

Do you know what the staking is like too? I know there's only reds up there and they're smaller than elsewhere in Scotland , but that's about it really.

Last edited:
Hi mjf
grimersta is good for the fishing, usually quiet a few salmon vault there every year.
But for your stalking you'd have to find another estate unless grimersta organise it for you because there only a fishing estate.

As the guys said you'll need to head south to the very bottom of Lewis or, more likely Harris for you stalking. Great fishing and if you can take a shotgun with very different loads, I had some of the best, wild sport on Barvas walking up snipe and grouse over pointers by day and flighting greylags on the lochans at dusk.

Hi mjf
grimersta is good for the fishing, usually quiet a few salmon vault there every year.
But for your stalking you'd have to find another estate unless grimersta organise it for you because there only a fishing estate.

Yeh Nickj that's where most of the stalking estates are south. But there is a couple on the west side of Lewis past grimersta over to uig.

Cheers, Nick and Jordan. Lots of quality advice there.

Consensus seems to be that it will be a enjoyable trip -looking forward to the fishing in particular, although not sure how good the stalking will be.

It's a pre-wedding gift from my future missus. I got very lucky!

No problem. The stalking is very enjoyable with some great scenery at the same time.
I hope the weather is good for your visit.

Cheers, Legolas.

Aye, I saw some good pics from him in the past, in particular for fishing on the lochs. Looks like a real treat! Any thoughts on what tackle is worth bring and any good fly patterns that work there?

Michael, take a look at this chap's website, there's plenty of info and he ties some pretty mean flies too. I got in touch with him before I went and he made me up a fly selection to match what I wasnted out of the trip - some trout flies and some for pollack (which is awesome fun i can't reccomend the salt water fly fishing enough).

http://www.islandflies09.co.uk/page_1593624.html

Cheers very much, Rodman! That's very useful! :D

Looking at the past stats, it looks like Sep/Oct is getting towards the end of the season, but still good enough for decent sport. Suppose it depends on the beat etc though.

I think I'm going to be staying on the Grimersta Estate. Any idea what the salmon/ sea trout fishing is like there?

Do you know what the staking is like too? I know there's only reds up there and they're smaller than elsewhere in Scotland , but that's about it really.
To say that the salmon fishing on Grimersta is good would be a bit of an understatement.
The British record bag for one days fishing was made there in 1888 by a Mr Naylor who caught 54 salmon in one day albeit in slightly false circumstances.
It is still pretty good although perhaps not quite as good as that.

Back