Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting wild boar

Hunting wild boar

Is it ethical to shoot animals in an enclosed area and call it hunting?
    SD ----- your thoughts please.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    How big is the enclosed area? The UK is fully enclosed by the sea.....

Without giving any context your question is pretty meaningless. You might as well ask "is it ethical to shoot animals" and leave it at that.

Out of the three posts you have made on Stalking Directory this is your second asking the same question - the other was in the Vets section here: Hunting

Why the fixation?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe cambs View Post
    Why would it not be . Now we are going to get the ethical police getting all out of breath climbing up onto their moral high ground again.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Your sum total contribution to SD.

16 January 2016 01:48
    Hi all I am a very keen deer stalker from the Cambridgeshire area. Have been deer stalking for many years . I have done part time game keeping for a few years also .
    28 January 2016 23:56
    Is it ethical for us to shoot animals in an enclosed area , and call it hunting -----SD your thoughts please .
    30 January 2016 00:59
    Care to explain?

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Your sum total contribution to SD.

Care to explain?

+1

When people talk about 'Enclosed Areas' they seem to get the impression that the Boar have been enclosed intentionally.
    That is not usually the case, it is the woodland. block of forest or crops that were originally enclosed and the Boar have got in and due to the size of the enclosed areas have not been discovered until too late.
    That is my take on shooting Boar in an enclosed area.
    You never, or very rarely, hear of Deer being shot in enclosed or fenced areas but that is quite common in parts of southern England to my knowledge, where blocks of forestry/saplings have been planted as a cash crop and Deer have got in, usually through gaps originally made by Badgers.

PS. I might add is there any aversion, as there seems to be regarding enclosed Boar, to shooting rabbits that get into your garden - which is usually fenced/enclosed ?
    Last edited by EMcC; 30-01-2016 at 09:57.

Reading this, I can only think that you haven't hunted driven boar ?

I know from conversations I've had with non boar hunters, the impression is that shooting driven boar must be like shooting fish in a barrel, ducks on a pond.................. it isn't !

It's common for hunters to not only blank on a day, but the trip, and most hunters will count themselves lucky if they are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    When people talk about 'Enclosed Areas' they seem to get the impression that the Boar have been enclosed intentionally.
    That is not usually the case, it is the woodland. block of forest or crops that were originally enclosed and the Boar have got in and due to the size of the enclosed areas have not been discovered until too late.
    That is my take on shooting Boar in an enclosed area.
    You never, or very rarely, hear of Deer being shot in enclosed or fenced areas but that is quite common in parts of southern England to my knowledge, where blocks of forestry/saplings have been planted as a cash crop and Deer have got in, usually through gaps originally made by Badgers.

PS. I might add is there any aversion, as there seems to be regarding enclosed Boar, to shooting rabbits that get into your garden - which is usually fenced/enclosed ?
    I have seen enclosed areas from 50-1000 hectares, that are not only hunted, but the Boar are bred and released there for that purpose[sometimes shortly before], it happens in France, Hungary etc.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    I have seen enclosed areas from 50-1000 hectares, that are not only hunted, but the Boar are bred and released there for that purpose[sometimes shortly before], it happens in France, Hungary etc.
    I have hunted wild boar since the mid sixties and more extensively since 2000 but have heard stories but never come across it yet with the odd exception where one has been kept in captivity to be fattened for a particular party/festival.
    I have heard this story more so recently in Croatia and must admit to shooting three pigs on a shoot a couple of years ago that were in such good condition it made me immediately look for ear tags ! none were found but it did raise my suspicions in that particular case.

I saw pigs reared and released on a number of sites throughout Europe on my travels round Europe of the last couple of years [and none were tagged].
    I have witnessed two shoots in Hungary, one in Croatia and one in Slovakia where pigs were released on the day of shooting or the day before!!!
    I think its a case of doing your homework before handing over cash..