Browning x bolt trigger

rutland

Does anybody on here know if the trigger can be lightened on my X bolt , it is approx. 4 years old , it wasn't until I had a go with my friends Tikka that I realised my x bolts trigger needed adjusting , Thanks

I took my new X bolt to a rifle-smith as I had the same problem, it was adjusted to 1 1/2 lb which I requested and I am very happy with it now.

If you type into Google "Browning X bolt trigger adjustment" it then shows the section from the X bolt owners manual which shows you how to do it with a 2mm Allen key. It looks simple enough and doesn't need to be carried out by a gunsmith if you are at all mechanically minded.

A final check after adjustment would be to cock the unloaded rifle and then bump the buttpad onto the floor, the rifle must remain cocked and not fire for it to be safe. If not increase the trigger pressure by turning the Allen key in the opposite direction and repeat the process, also check that the safety catch is still fully functional.

The manual says the pull is adjustable from 3 to 5 lb's in weight with the factory setting at 4lb. If the lightest setting is not light enough for you then you would need the services of a gunsmith, with either stoning of the trigger parts or a trigger kit required.

No doubt there are videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to adjust the trigger pull weight.

I have adjusted the trigger pull weight on a Sako 85, a Tikka T3 and a Howa 1500 simply with an Allen key following the instructions from the owners manual or clips from YouTube .(the Howa was adjustable for creep as well as pull weight, and showed the greatest improvement from the factory setting just by eliminating most of the trigger creep)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I unfortunately am not mechanically gifted and wanted peace of mind and it was also a very inexpensive job getting it to 1 1/2 lb pull.

Last edited:
On the older X Bolt the trigger was supposed to be adjustable but was never very satisfactory to the point that a lot of owners tried to source different springs,which to the average person was to fiddley to do.The only after market trigger I could find was from a company called Jard inc.

Only managed to get mine down to 31/2lb using the adjuster. I saw a diagram for cutting a coil of the spring, tryed this but couldn't get the pins out the trigger unit. So, gunsmith it was and he replaced the spring its now sitting at 2lb and only cost me £25 ! I'm Happy chappy now !! :)

If you type into Google "Browning X bolt trigger adjustment" it then shows the section from the X bolt owners manual which shows you how to do it with a 2mm Allen key. It looks simple enough and doesn't need to be carried out by a gunsmith if you are at all mechanically minded.

A final check after adjustment would be to cock the unloaded rifle and then bump the buttpad onto the floor, the rifle must remain cocked and not fire for it to be safe. If not increase the trigger pressure by turning the Allen key in the opposite direction and repeat the process, also check that the safety catch is still fully functional.

The manual says the pull is adjustable from 3 to 5 lb's in weight with the factory setting at 4lb. If the lightest setting is not light enough for you then you would need the services of a gunsmith, with either stoning of the trigger parts or a trigger kit required.

No doubt there are videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to adjust the trigger pull weight.

I have adjusted the trigger pull weight on a Sako 85, a Tikka T3 and a Howa 1500 simply with an Allen key following the instructions from the owners manual or clips from YouTube .(the Howa was adjustable for creep as well as pull weight, and showed the greatest improvement from the factory setting just by eliminating most of the trigger creep)

I hope this helps.

Make sure you get instructions for the right model. Newer X Bolts have a different, and much better trigger

I had an older X bolt and had to cut the spring down to get the trigger I wanted, not difficult to do.

Neil. :)

Attachments

• No.12. Browning X-Bolt Install a Light Trigger Spring.pdf
    217 KB · Views: 54
On the older X Bolt the trigger was supposed to be adjustable but was never very satisfactory to the point that a lot of owners tried to source different springs,which to the average person was to fiddley to do.The only after market trigger I could find was from a company called Jard inc.

Interesting, just googled this company and didn't realise there were any aftermarket triggers available so thanks for pointing this out!

Does anybody on here know if the trigger can be lightened on my X bolt , it is approx. 4 years old , it wasn't until I had a go with my friends Tikka that I realised my x bolts trigger needed adjusting , Thanks
I bought a trigger Spring kit for x bolt comes with 2&3 lb Spring I got it fron brownells

I bought a trigger Spring kit for x bolt comes with 2&3 lb Spring I got it fron brownells
Can you post a link to the spring kit from Brownells? I searched their website and found nothing, only an a-bolt kit which has a different trigger...

Can you post a link to the spring kit from Brownells? I searched their website and found nothing, only an a-bolt kit which has a different trigger...
go on brownells uk
put in the search Timmy trigger Spring kit it will give you the page atb

Back