Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloads tight to chamber

Reloads tight to chamber

Just reloaded a few rounds using once fired cases from someone else's rifle. Full length sized these some time ago, but today did the rest of the prep prior to reloading. Trimmed cases , primer pockets, flash hole all done.

Tried to chamber a few sample rounds and they chamber but are tight. The OAL is ok, the case length itself is ok. I tried to chamber just the prepped cartridge case and this is tight but still chambers .

Couple of questions : I suspect I need to adjust my full length die as this seems a headspace issue....is that likely to be the issue??
    is it ok to shoot with these tight rounds, and will things ease up next time if I neck size them after fire forming in my chamber....or will I need to full length size again??

thanks.

Biffo sounds to me fella you need to bump the shoulders back on the brass a bit , ie screwing the f/l sizing die a little bit more

I agree. Screw the die down hard.
    If they chamber they can be shot.~Muir

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Once you fire them in your chamber, they will be a perfect match and you will not need to FL re-size for several reloads. Many on this site don't agree with me on that, but it has worked very well for me for decades.

Great, thanks. I will try to adjust the fl die and see how that improves things. Appreciate the comments, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Once you fire them in your chamber, they will be a perfect match and you will not need to FL re-size for several reloads. Many on this site don't agree with me on that, but it has worked very well for me for decades.
    Agreed. If you can close the bolt on them you can fire them perfectly safely. I use once fired brass from other rifles I my rifles and get away with just neck sizing. Once you've fired the tight chambering round they will be easier to chamber the next time.

Don't adjust your FL die in too much. You still want a tiny bit of resistance when chambering a round - this means the cartridge is perfectly headspaced for your chamber.

Blog Entries
    Undoubtedly the chamber in your mates rifle is different to yours and you haven't full length resized the cases/ properly.

Quite safe to shoot if the bolt will close but if you are forcing it then don't because the round may not extract.

As others have said, the sizing die should be no more than a sheet of paper off the shell holder.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Agreed. If you can close the bolt on them you can fire them perfectly safely. I use once fired brass from other rifles I my rifles and get away with just neck sizing. Once you've fired the tight chambering round they will be easier to chamber the next time.

Don't adjust your FL die in too much. You still want a tiny bit of resistance when chambering a round - this means the cartridge is perfectly headspaced for your chamber.
    I've just checked a few empty cases that I fired recently that were originally hard to chamber, and these cycle perfectly easily now, so as you say they will be fire formed to fit eventually.

I dont follow the "screw down the die until it is hard against the shell holder then give it one more 1/4 turn" rule of setting up a FL die that is often in the instructions

That is setting up a die in relation to its own physical outer dimensions and has no bearing on its inner dimensions in relation to YOUR RIFLE

fl size a case with the die barely touching the shell holder
    The case wont chamber (or it shouldn't!)
    continue to FL size with the die being screwed down an 1/8th of a turn each time until the bolt will close without restriction form the case
    this can be tricky in some rifles that cock on close with a stiff firing pin spring as it can feel stiff

if you really want to do it properly
    pull the spring and pin and close the empty bolt on the sized case for ultimate feel of case size

then lock your die (ideally with a grub screw equipped locking collar) and leave it alone!

After following some sage advice I have all my F/L dies set up to bump the shoulders back a couple of thou.

You can set it up to SAAMI spec or you can get a headspace gauge....measure a few fired rounds then adjust your own dies so that when you F/L size it just bumps the shoulders back enough to chamber snugly but not to the point where you are working the brass hard. I then neck size for the next 2-4 shots then F/L again to bump it back a couple of thou.

Had a problem many moons back when by setting up my F/L die incorrectly I created a headspace problem in my .243 and wondered why cases were showing signs of separation after a couple of firings........