Botswana

As Gerrit has mentioned Botswana is open for hunting business on fenced private lands. I have a good friend who returned from a great trip last year having hunted a huge area.

As malc mentioned, I had a great PG hunt last year with Tholo Safaris currently being managed by Jason Bridger who was with Kanana before they sold up.The highlight of Botswana over SA or Namibia is the chance to hunt with the Tswana bushman,the tracking skills are legendary and must be seen to be believed.The quality of game is incredible and hit the kudu rut if you can for the chance of a real big boy.

It does make me smile how people on here kick up a fuss about hunting within deer parks in the UK, but when it comes to Africa they change their tune and suddenly they are ok with hunting in fenced areas!! Being a larger fenced area doesn't make it any more difficult to stalk than a smaller one - sometimes quite the opposite!

Sussex stalker. Bos en dal mentions 63,000 acres. Let me say it again 63,000 acres. What size of a bloody fence are we talking about. I know an estate in Scotland of 60,000 acres and to even think of fencing it is impossible. How long would it take the boys to check the fence every day.
Where are you coming from with your comment? I assume you refer to sikamalcs post.
Have you hunted out there? I assume so.

Im totally ok with hunting in fenced areas, I have friends who work as PHs in Africa and lots of friends who manage park deer in the UK. My point is that some people feel stalking deer in fenced areas in the UK is easy (because they have never done it), but feel its more of a challenge if you do it in another country! The size of the area doesn't really come into it - other than the number of animals the area is capable of holding. Theres not much chance you could stalk 63,000 acres on foot in a day, or even a week! It a great experience hunting in a fenced area if you have a good guide, be it in the UK or Africa.

Commercial hunting with the exception of registered game ranches was banned in Feb 2014 in Botswana. I believe it may at some stage be re instated.. I was lucky enough to hunt there with S African relatives on a number of trips prior to that date.

looking at the Bos en Dal post you will have little to worry about !

Im totally ok with hunting in fenced areas, I have friends who work as PHs in Africa and lots of friends who manage park deer in the UK. My point is that some people feel stalking deer in fenced areas in the UK is easy (because they have never done it), but feel its more of a challenge if you do it in another country! The size of the area doesn't really come into it - other than the number of animals the area is capable of holding. Theres not much chance you could stalk 63,000 acres on foot in a day, or even a week! It a great experience hunting in a fenced area if you have a good guide, be it in the UK or Africa.

I have shot park deer, and I have a friend who also owns a deer park with exotics. How many deer parks do you know in the UK that are 60,000 acres or 120,000 hectares.

I hunted Botswana in 1990 without fences. I have been lucky. I have also hunted most of South Africa, indeed one or two areas that were only fenced two sides, but both huge areas. Now nearly everywhere in SA is fenced. But there is a difference in 5000 acres fenced in Africa and 100,000 hectares.

I am not in agreement with canned hunting, and have been lucky to take both Elephant and Buffalo in true African style. Unfortunately in SA and some other parts of Africa fenced areas are becoming more common place. We do have some very good deer parks in the UK, where you can pay top dollar to shoot in, but its something that I feel many do not need to do, but its not for me to tell them where to shoot or go. Just like its not for you to jump to conclusions about myself, if indeed your post is aimed at me?

well...if your fenced land is under a number of dense acacia trees, then a 1000acres will be difficult to hunt! There is a difference in 60 000ha open fields vs 60 000ha dense bush and so also in 1000ha buffalo thorn bush vs 1000ha open country.

Agreed. But personally I still would rather not see the fence within the first 2 to 3 hours of hunting if I am in Africa.

yip that is true...we have areas where Outfitters / PH does or conduct hunts on small enclosures and this is bad for business and my name and for my country...but unfortunately they are there and I try to promote SA as a great hunting destination where you will get your trophy on basically the same method as done in adjacent countries. The areas might be smaller, yes, but the safaris will be the same! There is still big farms where you will not seen the fenced in 5-7 days or even never while on safari!!

Back