Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What knife/knives do you use ?

Account Suspended

What knife/knives do you use ?

What knife/knives do you use in the field for grallocking (brand / model) ? also what sharpening method do you use ? photos if you can.
    Cheers

Mora clipper for me, cheap and cheerful and razor sharp. I like having good kit but I just can't get excited about havingI mega expensive knife so the moras at around a tenner suit me down to the ground.

ive recently got a lansky deluxe sharpening set and for the first time in my life have been able to put an edge on a blade that I can shave with. I would highly recommend both the mora knives and the lansky sharpener to anyone.

I have 3 Helles, 2 fixed blades 1 folder-these are excellent triple laminated blades that hold a great edge, I have used one for 12 years. These are for carrying when stalking for the gralloch/bleeding. I then have a variety of larder knives, victorinox I think. I usually have a Mora in the gun bag as a spare. I too have a lansky pocket system for touching up blades. I have 3 Japanese whet stones of varying grits to establish the initial edge. This takes some practice and I have by no means perfected it! Those that do get surgical sharpness.

Brand ...My own

Models :Will be trying out several to see what works well

have a few Moras what will work to as they do for lots of Jobs and tasks

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Mora clipper for me, cheap and cheerful and razor sharp. I like having good kit but I just can't get excited about havingI mega expensive knife so the moras at around a tenner suit me down to the ground.

ive recently got a lansky deluxe sharpening set and for the first time in my life have been able to put an edge on a blade that I can shave with. I would highly recommend both the mora knives and the lansky sharpener to anyone.
    I use Mora as well , I drilled mine and fitted a lanyard ,I think its a bit safer when you have wet slippy hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mora.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	66086

I have about 30 knives. This Vasyl Goshovskyy is what I use most.

This, from Stu Mitchell, when I'm stalking.

I made this for myself, but a pal liked it.

A Lapplander that I re handled for myself years ago, and still gets used.

I always carry a spare when stalking. Mora, folder, etc.

All are kept sharp using a Sharpmaker.

Steve.
    He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast. Shakespeare, King Lear.

I leave my hand made blades at home and use the bright orange Mora stainless easy to keep sharp no tears if I lose one .

Account Suspended
    A mate done his DSC2 and the AW pulled his face at my mates wooden handled knife ,said he should be using plastic , what's the official stance on this ?