Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tikka custom

tikka custom

hello
    i have a t3 243 is this a good platform for a semi custom job or would i be better to look for an old remy 700 to work on .i also have a cz 527 222 are there any after market stocks or would i be better to free float the barrel any tips or advice will be gratfully received
    thanks for your help

What are you trying to achieve? or what problems do you have with these guns as they stand now?~Muir

I shoot with a chap who has Tikka T3's in, 22-250, 270 and a 30-06. They are all semi-customised by Norman Clark and very accurate. I think (from what i have discussed with friends) for a full custom rifle the 595 or 695 are better liked, because of the one piece bolt body and metal mag's.

I would much rather shoot a Tikka straight out of the box than a Remmy any day. Tikka's will shoot without all the bolt-on's needed to make a remmy perform, and it comes with a good trigger unit too.

There is a chap who writes for Shooting Sports Magazine (I think) who has customised his CZ 527, there were quite a few articles written on it. All the CZ's are based on the Mauser 98 action, widely touted as one of the top two ever made. It is easy to customise them, with lots of bits available. Trigger units are probably the easiest to find as everyone seems to either have or want to improve the trigger on their CZ. Personally I hate the safety on them, you have to bring it back towards you to fire But I know this can be changed if you are prepared to pay through the nose.

By the by, none of the aforesaid friend's Tikka's shoot any more accurately than my bog standard Sako 75 finnlight with my homeloads

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I hate the safety on them, you have to bring it back towards you to fire But I know this can be changed if you are prepared to pay through the nose.
    Hmmm flytie the safety on the CZ/Brno may seem backwards to us but it obviously makes sense to the people who make them. I find that it really makes no difference to me.

You can customise just about any rifle it depends on what you want to achieve and how much you are willing to spend.

what sort of preformance are you getting out of your finnlite

muir i would like to have a light weight stalking or foxing rifle just had an idea have any of you guys experience with a manlicer pro hunter or pro hunter mountain

Quote Originally Posted by rem708cdl View Post
    what sort of preformance are you getting out of your finnlite
    Using my bi-pod, off the bonnet of my suzuki I can do .336" five shot group at 100yds. That is taking my time. I am about to start reloading my once fired brass, as opposed to the new Lapua I am using. I am hoping accuracy will increase. Letting someone who can really shoot use it, it produces a small(ish) ragged hole on five shots. I only have the one photo, I have uploaded onto photobucket, of my target from my first reloads that worked. It was only a 3 shot group (and yes I know only 5 shot's count as a group, but I was working up loads) but it will do to show what you can achieve, even as a novice reloader.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reloads.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	1118
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

very impressive what sort of speed are you getting with this load

muir i would like to have a light weight stalking or foxing rifle just had an idea have any of you guys experience with a manlicer pro hunter or pro hunter mountain
    Rem, This is a subject that has been done to death on nearly every shooting forum. If you do a search you will find the relavant threads here too I am sure.

I will give you a quick potted history. The Mk1 Plastic stocked Steyrs (they do not deserve the name Mannlicher) were awful and bent all over the place. They were returned to Sportsman (the importer) nearly as fast as they went out. Steve Bowers stiffened all the stocks on the Forest of Dean Forester's Steyr rifles to make them usable. Very quickly Steyr brought out a mk2 which is better. Their barrels are not screw fitted like most others, so if you want to rebarrel you will have to send it back to Steyr. I belive, from what I read, that people are happier with them now. Their wooden rifles look nice.

ft

very impressive what sort of speed are you getting with this load
    Rem, I have not yet played with a chrono, I do not posess one so cannot answer you. I am trying to blag the use of one from friends. I worked backwards on a ballistic chart on the web where you can enter all your variables and it gave me a speed of 2750fps but have no way to verify this.

I am 1.5" high at 100yds, zero" at 200yds and 8.4" low at 300yds.