tikka custom

rem708cdl

hello
i have a t3 243 is this a good platform for a semi custom job or would i be better to look for an old remy 700 to work on .i also have a cz 527 222 are there any after market stocks or would i be better to free float the barrel any tips or advice will be gratfully received
thanks for your help

I shoot with a chap who has Tikka T3's in, 22-250, 270 and a 30-06. They are all semi-customised by Norman Clark and very accurate. I think (from what i have discussed with friends) for a full custom rifle the 595 or 695 are better liked, because of the one piece bolt body and metal mag's.

I would much rather shoot a Tikka straight out of the box than a Remmy any day. Tikka's will shoot without all the bolt-on's needed to make a remmy perform, and it comes with a good trigger unit too.

There is a chap who writes for Shooting Sports Magazine (I think) who has customised his CZ 527, there were quite a few articles written on it. All the CZ's are based on the Mauser 98 action, widely touted as one of the top two ever made. It is easy to customise them, with lots of bits available. Trigger units are probably the easiest to find as everyone seems to either have or want to improve the trigger on their CZ. Personally I hate the safety on them, you have to bring it back towards you to fire :cuckoo: But I know this can be changed if you are prepared to pay through the nose.

By the by, none of the aforesaid friend's Tikka's shoot any more accurately than my bog standard Sako 75 finnlight with my homeloads ;)

ft

I hate the safety on them, you have to bring it back towards you to fire :cuckoo: But I know this can be changed if you are prepared to pay through the nose.

Hmmm flytie the safety on the CZ/Brno may seem backwards to us but it obviously makes sense to the people who make them. I find that it really makes no difference to me.

You can customise just about any rifle it depends on what you want to achieve and how much you are willing to spend.

muir i would like to have a light weight stalking or foxing rifle just had an idea have any of you guys experience with a manlicer pro hunter or pro hunter mountain

what sort of preformance are you getting out of your finnlite

Using my bi-pod, off the bonnet of my suzuki I can do .336" five shot group at 100yds. That is taking my time. I am about to start reloading my once fired brass, as opposed to the new Lapua I am using. I am hoping accuracy will increase. Letting someone who can really shoot use it, it produces a small(ish) ragged hole on five shots. I only have the one photo, I have uploaded onto photobucket, of my target from my first reloads that worked. It was only a 3 shot group (and yes I know only 5 shot's count as a group, but I was working up loads) but it will do to show what you can achieve, even as a novice reloader.

Reloads.jpg

muir i would like to have a light weight stalking or foxing rifle just had an idea have any of you guys experience with a manlicer pro hunter or pro hunter mountain
Rem, This is a subject that has been done to death on nearly every shooting forum. If you do a search you will find the relavant threads here too I am sure.

I will give you a quick potted history. The Mk1 Plastic stocked Steyrs (they do not deserve the name Mannlicher) were awful and bent all over the place. They were returned to Sportsman (the importer) nearly as fast as they went out. Steve Bowers stiffened all the stocks on the Forest of Dean Forester's Steyr rifles to make them usable. Very quickly Steyr brought out a mk2 which is better. Their barrels are not screw fitted like most others, so if you want to rebarrel you will have to send it back to Steyr. I belive, from what I read, that people are happier with them now. Their wooden rifles look nice.

ft

very impressive what sort of speed are you getting with this load

Rem, I have not yet played with a chrono, I do not posess one so cannot answer you. I am trying to blag the use of one from friends. I worked backwards on a ballistic chart on the web where you can enter all your variables and it gave me a speed of 2750fps but have no way to verify this.

I am 1.5" high at 100yds, zero" at 200yds and 8.4" low at 300yds.

Rem, Very quickly Steyr brought out a mk2 which is better. Their barrels are not screw fitted like most others, so if you want to rebarrel you will have to send it back to Steyr. I belive, from what I read, that people are happier with them now. Their wooden rifles look nice.ft

I know someone with a MKII Prohunter with plastic furniture who tells me that it too, cannot produce good groups off of a bipod.

The remmington has the best range of Bolt on parts . Lots of folk swear by them ! I have a remmington model 7 as a light stalking/ fox rifle .

When i bought it it had a standard trigger that had about a 8-10 lb pull and a nasty plastic stock that shot a new POI with every diferent surface i shot off.

Now it has a new trigger set at 1lb and a HS Precision ali cored stock and floted barrel. It now shoots sub MOA and is the first rifle out of the safe.

I am a bit off a fan of the MKII Steyr Prohunter, Steyr bashing is somewhat in vouge at the moment, but they do noot suit everybody - I would not by another. They are not a Mannlicher, the last one off those was built in about 1970.

But IMO there is better rifles out there for less money.

Lightweight Rifles I would look at;

Blaser R93
Mauser M03 Extreme
Sako 75/85 Finnlight
Sauer 202 Outback
Tikka T3 Lite/Satinless
Browning X-Bolt
Ruger M77 European
Remingtons... with custom work
Howa...with custom work

Hope this is of some use

Sam

Hi

To answer the thread...sort of I have semi customs based on a Tikka 595 action and also the rem 700. I think the tikka is a nicer action, certainly smooth as silk to use but the remmie is easier to find parts for. I also had a proper recoil lug fitted to the tikka instead of the crap piece of angle iron fitted to the 595 in lieu of a recoil lug. I dont know what the recoil lug arrangement is on the T3. Both shoot very well, particularly the rem. I think my impression of the whole semi custom thing is that these rifles shoot small groups regularly rather than shooting good groups occasionally. Certainly less fliers since the rebarrels which translates to better confidence. I can also vouch for the work of Norman Clarke as my Tikka is one of his.

Cheers

S

Several aftermarket bits are available for T3's in the meantime and more to follow.
Roedale have made an Aluminum stock with plastic side plates RCS for the T3.
Magazine systems to take AI metall magazines are just about on the shelf.
An Australian company are making a few bits like the bolt shroud and so on for the T3.
I'll be getting a T3 soon and will start on a stock.

Steyer know very well that their prohunter has a bit of a sloppy stock.
They didn't seem to pushed about it. Maybe aftermarket is the way to go.
The rifle seems ok otherwise.
edi

I have just had a 6mm BR arrive based on a tikka 595 in a mcmillan stock , wth a fairly short fluted ss barrel , wanted something lighter to carry than my 25 - 06 ai.

The base rifle had had uite a hard life as possable an estate rifle , but after been cleaned up the action is smooth as silk . I would post some pic's if i new how !

I would go with the tikka over the rem personaly , and i have owned both , by the time you have blueprinted the rem you might as well use a custom action the tikka does not appear to need as much work to produce an accurate rifle .

Sam,
You list is way off... The M03 is anything but light, it has a long action made of steel and the bolt is like a lump hammer, the 202 is only marginally lighter. As for cheaper R93+ mount is £2300, with the M03 & 202 not far off. These are all rifles ive had with only the R93 remaining.....

Last edited:

rem,

I have a sako 85 Finnlight in .243, 20" fluted barrel, placky stock granted, but it's accurate, light and pointy straight out the box. Maybe you've got a preference on action etc, but just putting it out there that you can have a light weight stalking/foxing rig straight out the factory. Maybe you aren't going to win bench rest comps, but you'll account for fox and deer.

What Tikka have you got? Why are you wanting to mod it?

If you're in the UK and want to try the Finnlight, PM me. :thumb:

Alex

Sariel,

I guess it depends on what you call "light". I am big enough and ugly enough to cope with it. I have shot and handled a M03 Ex. and too me it wasnt that bad, but I appreciete that not everybody is as big and ugly as me :D It may not be as light as a a Finnlight or whatever, but I didnt feel lumbered when lugging it about. I like the Sauers very much, and the Blasers are pretty fine too, though with the mag clips people kep telling me about I warm towards the Sauer. I dont know, you payes your money and you makes your choice, isnt that what they say?

Money was not an issue- I posted a list of rifles that I liked and would be happy to carry all day. I forgot the Kimber Montana though:doh:, now theres a light rifle. Actually I didn mention money didnt I? Fool. I agree that it gives the impression that the R93 etc. are cheaper than a Steyr. Oops,sorry folks.

Sam

Last edited:
Sam,
Fair point and your absolutely right, for me the M03 Ex with a mod just didnt do it, it should have, 5+1, great build the list goes on but it was just too heavy for what it offered, if it was in a magnum chambering and i really mean and "Africa calibre" it would have been great. The Sauer was gorgeous, i sold to a chap on here actually as i had a Nesika waiting that i had built. Personally the R93 is my favorite, its not as solid as the other two, has lost of plastic (poor choice of word) but somehow is more than its spec and parts. Just superb.
Best regards
Sariel

Back