Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a fox..........vermin

Is a fox..........vermin

My fac has

'.17 hmr vermin control, .222 fox control, .243 deer & fox control.'

So can I shoot a fox with the 17 hmr ?

it depends on were in the county you shoot

Kevin

I would say no but would call to check. I have heard that some forces wont allow .17hmr on fox.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-dead-in-the-air View Post
    My fac has

Short answer is no and your FLD must have that view as they have specifically mentioned fox against your .222.

But you need to get your conditions sorted out.

At the very least they should all be individually conditioned for the principal quarry species plus 'and any other lawful quarry'. So your .243 would be for 'deer and any other lawful quarry'.

At best your cert would have a condition reading something like this:

The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(Delete the bit in italics if you have an 'open' FAC).
    Last edited by Orion; 19-05-2010 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-dead-in-the-air View Post
    My fac has

Whatever the truth about the enforcability of these conditions is, I'd say that since they have specified fox as separate from vermin the answer according to the FLD's intentions is probably 'no'.

However, since you have demonstrated 'good reason to possess' these three rifles, they really, in my opinion, have no business telling you what you may and may not shoot with them.

If these conditions are likely to prevent you from using your rifles as you would wish, I'd write to them, saying how you'd like them changing and why. As Orion suggests, the 'and other lawful quarry' would fix things in an ACPO-approved manner.

I made a boo boo I only read is foxs vermin so I will hold my hands up

Like orion says if it only says 222 & 243 for fox than you can only use them two rifles

Kevin

i live in stafordshire and apparently a fox is not vermin so it would say vermin fox and deer if u were in west mercia

Would the fox know the differance.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Why not just ring the FEO? I'm guessing that you want to use hmr on land that's not been passed for .222 so from that I can only assume you have a closed ticket. If so, explain your situation and ask for open cert... you never know, you might catch him on a good day
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Haven't heard of any foxes phoning in to complain someone's shooting at them with .17HMR's
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!