Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rifles?

How many rifles?

Hi - just checking how many deer legal rifles one can generally justify owning with 'deer stalking' as good reason?
    I have 5, from a 223 to a 375, but would like to know if you have to continue giving specific reasons for each new purchase...
    I guess the short question is, can I buy another deer calibre rifle and justify it with 'deer stalking' or do you generally have to give specific (and new) reasons for each new purchase?
    On a related note - I have heard that the security requirements get more stringent as you edge into the double figures. Is this correct or is there no difference in security required for 1 gun or 20?

In respect of security requirements, unlike shotguns where you can have as many as you like, if you have 5 rifles or more you have to have a burglar alarm. If you have 12 or more I believe there are further requirements.

As for the number of guns in different (or even the same) calibres with 'deer' as the reason for ownership, yes, you usually have to provide specific reason. For instance, if you already have .243 for deer, you could justify a .308 as for use with larger deer species. You can justify same calibres as having one for woodland stalking and one for hill stalking, and another for high seat work, all of which can require (or rather would be better tuned with) rifles of different weights, bipod and scope setups, regardless of calibre...

As long as you can show that you are still using all calibres for the reasons specified, and have an ongoing need for the additional rifles, you should be OK, I would think...

Pippa

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
    As long as you can show that you are still using all calibres for the reasons specified, and have an ongoing need for the additional rifles, you should be OK, I would think...
    Pippa
    Therein lies the problem... come renewal time they want to see that you are actually using all the rifles. This is the reason why I don't buy more guns, of course I'd like more guns but it would mean regularly buying bullets to show that I am using them.
    A genuine good reason to have a 'one for all' calibre
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Pippa, Im pulling the BS Alarm! I will not reveal my security details on the web, but there is no legal requirment for anything other than a secure riflesafe, with seperate ammo storage. We have more than five rifles, and CHESHIRE the toughest FLO in the country Have never said anything about burgular alarms! Lets not give them any idea

Cheshire say you cant have more than 3 deer legal rifles why I am not sure, but thats them. A freind gets round this by saying that he needs various twist rates depending on the wind etc. Thats how he has about 5 .308's on his ticket!

atb

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

With regard to security you need to read this document for information on what the police should actually be asking for:

http://tna.europarchive.org/20100419...-handbook.html

Guidance is also downloadable from here http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...66C0FB5CD4058F

and here http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...68517A2E9680DB

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Pippa, Im pulling the BS Alarm! I will not reveal my security details on the web, but there is no legal requirment for anything other than a secure riflesafe, with seperate ammo storage. We have more than five rifles, and CHESHIRE the toughest FLO in the country Have never said anything about burgular alarms! Lets not give them any idea
    That was Avon & Somerset - I was advised when I applied for my FAC (asking for 3 rifles) that I would not need an alarm, but if I applied for more and would have 5 or more in total, then I'd need an alarm. I'm having some renovations done and only called them this week to see what kind of requirement there wuld be on an alarm should I apply in future for more...

Another case of different rules for different areas, I guess...

I know quite a few people with more than 5 rifles and no burglar alarm. Me included.

Thanks for the views - keep them coming. As I said, I have 5 deer rifles and can easily come up with good reasons to get a couple more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Cheshire say you cant have more than 3 deer legal rifles why I am not sure, but thats them.
    A freind gets round this by saying that he needs various twist rates depending on the wind etc. Thats how he has about 5 .308's on his ticket!
    atb
    Sam
    Cheshire couldn't understand why I wanted two .223's when I said I wanted to shoot VLD's & needed a 1 in 6 as well as my first rifle.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I dunno about anyone else, but I also have to answer to a higher authority... SWMBO

Just as an aside to this, as I only have three rifles on my ticket, two for deer, I don't qualify to comment. But having just been assessed for my variation by a visit from my FEO, I was told that I would need a space for six rifles and two shotguns in my cabinet I asked "why" as I would only have three rifles and two shotguns! Seems sensible dosn't it...............but no I need a space in my cabinet for 8 firearms because I have three moderators on my ticket as well, and they count as a firearm in their own right, so they need their own space in the cabinet Good job I bought a large cabinet in the first place

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.