Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decline in various wildlife

Decline in various wildlife

After watching various programs I get a little bit wound up.
    Why are various species in decline?

Well when I was a kid we didn't have mink or otters. But we had water voles lots of coots moorhens and a good stock of fish and eels. A stretch of river I shoot use to have the banks full of coot and moorhens. Now very rare.

We didn't have sparrowhawk, buzzard, magpie, badger and crows to the number we have now.
    Do these wildlife experts not realise that with more predators eating wildlife and raiding nests that this is a large part of the problem?

I await being slated. I'm not saying shoot/ trap protected species. But the various species that are on the increase can't help.

What about the fact that we now have less gamekeepers rearing more and more birds which simply help get all these predators through the winter months. Many keepers don't bother with predator control anymore as they just don't have the time.

Totally agree. Keepers now are more feeders who release large numbers

Game farms spread over thousands of acres!

Its hard to imagine a true perspective will be given by any of the main conservation charities since, and for example, in the case of the RSPB, most of their donors probably own a cat or three.
    Yet the domestic cat is probably, single-handedly responsible for the endangering of many formerely prolific species. Some 14 million birds annually ?
    It seems very unlikely now that residual pesticides are responsible for loss of species. All forms of predator need effective control if we are to allow many species to recover.

all these animals in decline are down to gamekeepers any episode of spring ,summer, winter, autum watch will tell you that

Kes thats a sensible reply, ive yet to see a game farm thats spread over thousands of acres , i think theres a few people on here that have little or no clue what a gamekeeper does for a living, i dont know of any keeper that doesnt do any predator control just because he has a large release of birds. On keepered estates theres a better balanced diversity of all species. For the uneducated take a look at the NGO website and see what we do not just for the shooting but for the countryside in general.

Quote Originally Posted by 243 fallow View Post
    Kes thats a sensible reply, ive yet to see a game farm thats spread over thousands of acres , i think theres a few people on here that have little or no clue what a gamekeeper does for a living, i dont know of any keeper that doesnt do any predator control just because he has a large release of birds. On keepered estates theres a better balanced diversity of all species. For the uneducated take a look at the NGO website and see what we do not just for the shooting but for the countryside in general.
    "Game farms spread over thousands of acres" was a figure of speech fallow. I've been around shoots and gamekeepers for the last 30 years so I hope you're not suggesting that I don't know what they do? I'm cock shooting tomorrow on the estate where driven pheasant shooting originating no less, on the invite of one of their keepers. I was saying that there are degrees of predator control. Tomorrow's shoot gets 10/10 most get far far less than that which has not helped our declining species.
    Last edited by baguio; 31-01-2016 at 21:58.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post

Well when I was a kid we didn't have mink or otters. But we had water voles lots of coots moorhens and a good stock of fish and eels. A stretch of river I shoot use to have the banks full of coot and moorhens. Now very rare.

We didn't have sparrowhawk, buzzard, magpie, badger and crows to the number we have now.
    Do these wildlife experts not realise that with more predators eating wildlife and raiding nests that this is a large part of the problem?

I await being slated. I'm not saying shoot/ trap protected species. But the various species that are on the increase can't help.
    Yep loads of `kin badgers and very few hedgehogs .

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post

you most likely did have at least some of the species you say you didn't but in much fewer numbers, as they were allowed to be managed (like they should be in my opinion). stopping the control of certain predators would inevitably lead to the decline of other species, something that many don't understand or refuse to acknowledge.