Ouch - Lost dew claw today, see pics.

phillips321

Guys,

Not stalking related but working my terrier on rats today and have noticed this tonight:

I've sudocrem'd it, put a non adhesive iodine patch on it and then wrapped it with some stretchy 'stick-to-self' bandage on it (hope you like the cool camo!)

So, i'll obviously check in the morning, keep a good eye on it for swelling/infection, and change the bandages, but is this worth going to the vet for? I can't see any black nail on it what so ever, it looks like he's stripped the entire nail off.

Last thing i want to do is remove it as i want to give it the chance to grow back. Am thinking antibiotics as a precaution?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

I had a dog tear a nail off like yours let the air get to it keep it clean I would only take it to a vet if it starts to swell or shows signs of infection it should heal in time

I met my now wife (a vet) when my lab lost her dew claw..... Take dog to vets you never know where it might lead !!!!

To be fair you have done a tidy job! Watch you don't get swelling of the foot below the bandage and otherwise just leave it. Keep it clean and if there appears to be a lot of swelling/redness of the digit then I would have a vet check it out, otherwise, I just leave them.

If your child got injured you would be straight to a&e or the doctors, get to a vet or if you cant afford it go to pdsa and have it checked
Ray

hibby scrub then super glue metronidazole 400mg lab has 1 tablet twice a day for 5 days if there's any heat or swelling
Norma

If your child got injured you would be straight to a&e or the doctors, get to a vet or if you cant afford it go to pdsa and have it checked
Ray

when my brother worked for pfizer animal health they did a bit of research on visits to vets and it was something like 70% of visits were for things that would get better with no vet intervention. This is one and the advice is right, keep it clean and keep an eye out for signs of infection and it will get better the dogs body is pretty amazing at healing most things.

Back