Telescopic bipod

Boghossian

Hi guys - I need some tips on a recommended brand of telescoping bipod shooting sticks.
I don't like the tripod/quad jobbies and the homemade sets cannot be taken abroad as easily.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

Gabriel

There was a review of sticks on this thread: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?9258-Sticks/page2&highlight=knobloch

I use the Knobloch telescopic bipod and have done for the last 10 years. The downside is that they are not cheap: http://www.greenacresupplies.co.uk/Knobloch_Bi_Pod.htm. I have no idea why they are so expensive, but if worked out in price per stalk they are still pennies ;)

There are more versions on the market now like Stoney Point and X3Mi, which you can find through Google. Others use them very effectively.

willie_gunn

Is there anything wrong with Bushwear sticks?

About £30, and in realtree if your that way inclined ;)

Sam

Is there anything wrong with Bushwear sticks?

About £30, and in realtree if your that way inclined ;)

Sam

Like with most things, you get what you pay for. In my opinion, if you are on a tight budget then get two hazel sticks/dowels/garden canes etc and a bit of inner tube. If you what something of a professional quality get the Stoney Point, don't really see where the mid-range stuff really fits in. JC

I use Hazel or B&Q. Why spend £60 or more on sticks? I want to know because if the difference is that much I might change.

thank
Sa

I use Hazel or B&Q. Why spend £60 or more on sticks? I want to know because if the difference is that much I might change.

thank
Sa
Sam i use the Stoney point bipod and they do just make life much easier they're quick and easy to adjust for shots from sitting to standing also if i want to shoot freehand i can put them right down and slot through one of my belt loops so they hang down my leg out the way,i even use them with my .17hmr now for rabbits in preference to my harris bipod i just wouldn't be with out them now.Make a good walking stick too strong and light but if you get some go for the three section legs as they are more versatile.
Neil.

I want something I can stick in the suitcase if travelling for overseas shooting. I don't like having the sticks set up by the PH or tracker in Africa, they never get the height right.

I want something I can stick in the suitcase if travelling for overseas shooting. I don't like having the sticks set up by the PH or tracker in Africa, they never get the height right.
The stoney point three section ones measure 26 1/4 inches right down 63inches fully extended and weigh 1 pound if thats any help Boggy.

Personnally I have never liked the bipods that attach to the rifle, they always seem to get tangled in stuff and make the rifle awful heavy at the front end if you need to take a shot freestanding.

I went for the following, doubles as a good walking stick aswell.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0078545228254a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&nyr=1&Ne=2510&Ntk=Products&QueryText=bi+pod&sort=all&N=3668&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

Sam

I used to use garden canes as well - they work well. There are, however, several advantages of the telescopic sticks:

a. they are more manageable than long sticks when taking a sitting/kneeling shot
b. they are easier to adjust to the right height if I'm taking a client out
c. they are easier to fit in the car
d. when folded down they can fit in a suitcase if you're travelling abroad

I don't know if any of the above are important to you. If not, stick with the hazel or B&Q.

willie_gunn

I use the B&Q version, and I also have a telescopic pair which I bought end of last year and frankly much prefer the B&Q version - mine are joined with a bungee cord and very quick to slide up or down to adjust the height. The telescopic are joined with a bolt and then you have to twist the legs to adjust height - slow and they always jam. I may well though get a pair of Black Diamond Walking poles - they are nice and lightweight, and have clips to adjust height rather than requirng a twist. Primarlily these will be used for walking / cross country skiing, but with the addition of a simple velcro wrap you could join them together for a very useful bipod.

I use 3 B&Q canes with a bit bunge rope at the top if I bend one its a couple off pound to change it. I nomly have a bipod on my rifle at most times
my mate has a telescopic sticks & he seems to have changed to the b&q canes must like them best.

you can do a lot when you b&q it

Kevin

thank
Sa

Sam, the bought sticks are no better than the home made ones I know Ive used both
Just use three small bolts and a strip of leather to fix them at the top, rather than inner tube or Hoover belts. can be used standing, kneeling, sitting what ever, they are actually quicker to set up than the bought jobs just put the feet further apart for a sitting or kneeling shot, no leg adjustment to fiddle with..

three B&Q canes around 6 foot in length cut six inches from one fix strip of leather about two inches long to the top with two small bolts , drill hole in the other two six inches from the top fix bolt through this hole and the other end of the leather strip
tighten it just enough to allow the canes to move.

Cost less than £10 and twenty minutes to make.

the only disadvantage to this system is the length when walking as of course you can't retract the legs like the bought jobs
but I am working on that. trying to devise a system that would allow them to fold but lock when opened as IMO its a better system than adjusting individual legs to get the required height it just takes to long.

At the end of the day its a matter of choice, if you are the kind of person that must have the latest gear better to splash out
and buy some, but if you want something practical to get on with the job B&Q.

Back