Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpie trap

Magpie trap

Hi guys what's the best trap for magpie? other than a larsen. I don't want to have a call bird.
    Regards dan

your going to find a larsen hard to beat, what about putting some eggs and or a plastic decoy in one and i dont know how well magpies would take to a ladder trap baited with somthing like dead rabbits

If you don't want to use a callbird, try putting a vertical mirror in the Larsen trap. I've been told it works. Raw tripe worked for me to catch the first one last year. Even if you don't use a callbird, you will still have to visit the trap each day.

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Hi guys what's the best trap for magpie? other than a larsen. I don't want to have a call bird.
    Regards dan
    As sir-lamp-alot says Larsen is very very good the double trap with a live decoy bird in even better if you can get one from another area don't forget to feed it or it won't work ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    If you don't want to use a callbird, try putting a vertical mirror in the Larsen trap. I've been told it works. Raw tripe worked for me to catch the first one last year. Even if you don't use a callbird, you will still have to visit the trap each day.
    That would be illegal!! Not allowed to use mirrors, at least in scotland and pretty sure UK wide. Any rules u have to abide by will be in the GL terms

Larsens are the best, no matter wot trap u use uwill have to check it daily anyway so really no drawback in having a call bird. If u want a day off just take the trap home with u and feed call bird there. traps ned to be moved regularly anyway, not like a fenn or snare

I know the laws of trapping. I will have the trap in my garden as nearly every day I see up to 10 magpies. I'm sick of the noise they make.
    I will probably just put some eggs in a larsen.
    The main reason for not wanting a call bird is the smell of feed going off.

I know the laws of trapping. I will have the trap in my garden as nearly every day I see up to 10 magpies. I'm sick of the noise they make.
    I feed drydog food all season no problem not too big a biscuit though and plenty of water ...no smell
    Norma

Could somebody share the law about mirrors. Using a call bird in a side entry Larsen you could well clear your magpies in days then get rid of the call bird as well, as Norma said dry dog food is a fine food for them

I know the laws of trapping. I will have the trap in my garden as nearly every day I see up to 10 magpies.
    Dan

You may need to rethink your justification for the trap before you set it, as the GL doesn't cover noise. I'm not trying to pick holes, just speaking as someone who had a visit from the RSPCA as a result of having a larsen in my garden

1. This licence permits action only for the purposes specified in “What this licence permits”. You maynot use it to prevent nuisance (such as excessive noise). If you are unsure you should seekindependent legal advice before using this licence.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    That would be illegal!! Not allowed to use mirrors, at least in scotland and pretty sure UK wide. Any rules u have to abide by will be in the GL terms
    I thought it was illegal to use mirrors for dazzling, but that was all.