Thread: Hw66 22lr thumbhole reviews please

Hw66 22lr thumbhole reviews please

Hi all, I have an open slot for 22lr and am thinking of opting for one of these. I have an Annie in 17HMR and fancy something a bit different.
    I grew up using the air rifles and am a massive fan of the rekord trigger unit which I believe is fitted to these rimmies. (am I correct in thinking this?)
    I would like any feedback good or bad from experienced owners of these rifles to aid me in my final choice.
    Many thanks in advance.

ATB Lee

Hi Lee I have the hw60j non thumbhole. Bought from sportsman's and not much more than a cz bought 2 months ago ..I got the 14 inch barral and its as accurate as my old sako finnfire which is very accurate. The stock oozes quality,I was going to get a thumbhole as I have a Annie .17 deluxe but one of the lads said as on farm get a standard stock its a lot stronger if you drop it.the stock is good quality walnut which comes with the old type swivels,I changed these straight away ..the trigger is the best I have ever used better than a jewelled trigger I had on a target rifle. it has a nice first stage and a sweet second with predicted let off,I kept it standard set up from factory perfect,the weight of the rifle is nice not to light or heavy with steady stance when standing and all day carry weight.the scope rail is good and as its standard you do not need fancy mounts. The only pick up I have is the magazine is a five shot ,but if you don't want a round in the breech you can only put in 4. If you load 5 and then you can't pull the bold back.I can live with this..the gun is a hidden gem which I would recommend to anyone..the safety is also silent unlike your Annie..build quality is top notch with great blueing and perfect machining as you would expect from wh ..would recommend you buy one now you will not be disappointed... Just don't tell everyone as they will become common will be that same length as your Annie with 16 inch barral and the silence fitter already threadcut that's a bonus
    Last edited by Psycho; 01-02-2016 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Hi Lee I have the hw60j non thumbhole. Bought from sportsman's and not much more than a cz bought 2 months ago ..I got the 14 inch barral and its as accurate as my old sako finnfire which is very accurate. The stock oozes quality,I was going to get a thumbhole as I have a Annie .17 deluxe but one of the lads said as on farm get a standard stock its a lot stronger if you drop it.the stock is good quality walnut which comes with the old type swivels,I changed these straight away ..the trigger is the best I have ever used better than a jewelled trigger I had on a target rifle. it has a nice first stage and a sweet second with predicted let off,I kept it standard set up from factory perfect,the weight of the rifle is nice not to light or heavy with steady stance when standing and all day carry weight.the scope rail is good and as its standard you do not need fancy mounts. The only pick up I have is the magazine is a five shot ,but if you don't want a round in the breech you can only put in 4. If you load 5 and then you can't pull the bold back.I can live with this..the gun is a hidden gem which I would recommend to anyone..the safety is also silent unlike your Annie..build quality is top notch with great blueing and perfect machining as you would expect from wh ..would recommend you buy one now you will not be disappointed... Just don't tell everyone as they will become common will be that same length as your Annie with 16 inch barral and the silence fitter already threadcut that's a bonus
    Thanks for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply Psycho.
    To be honest I think I was already sold on one, having handled one myself. I used to own an original finnfire, but got laid-off from work a few years ago and was an idiot and sold it as I still had the bills to pay! I had my heart set on getting another and have kept a close eye on all the usual sources for a while now, but I havn't seen a single one that was a patch on my old one. There wasn't a mark in the metal work and the grain in the walnut was more akin to high end english shotgun, so i've decided I'll never be satisfied with another one.
    I think what you have said in your post has pushed me over the edge so to speak, so it's all your fault!
    I too can live with the mag capacity, but the only niggling dought I had was that somebody on here posted they'd had trouble with 2 different mags falling apart? could possibly be a different model?
    Thanks again for your reply.

ATB Lee

hi Lee, that may be me you refer to regarding the magazines. I have the HW 60 in .17HMR. I have 2 mags and both had weak springs which caused problems with the last round feeding into the chamber properly and it tended to jam often. I called a couple of places with no success as they probably want to sell the mags and not the springs to fix the problem. I then called hull cartridge with the same type of response and felt pretty let down so I wrote an email to weihrauch directly and hey presto 2 new springs FOC in the post. I have changed them over and have yet to test but I noticed the new springs are slightly bigger so give a bit more push if you know what I mean.

I too used to and still do have their air rifles and also love the rekord trigger (I would have one in my sauer). hopefully the new springs and from now on new mags do not suffer from the issues seen previously as I think the rifles are faultless otherwise and an absolute pleasure to use. that being said a 10 shot mag would be a real treat. I think the issue there is that the rifles, as good as they are, do not sell in big enough quantities to make it worth their while.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Plus 1 on this. I had one for about 3 years. It performed faultlessly with Winchester subs. Very nice trigger- same as the air rifles. Sold it in a moment of madness and have regretted it ever since. You can get 10 shot magazines for them. But I found them to be a tighter fit in the action and took a while to bed themselves in. Would recommend one to anybody. I had the hw66 jagdmatch with I think had a 14inch barrel. I think I have one of the 10 shot magazines here if someone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Plus 1 on this. I had one for about 3 years. It performed faultlessly with Winchester subs. Very nice trigger- same as the air rifles. Sold it in a moment of madness and have regretted it ever since. You can get 10 shot magazines for them. But I found them to be a tighter fit in the action and took a while to bed themselves in. Would recommend one to anybody. I had the hw66 jagdmatch with I think had a 14inch barrel. I think I have one of the 10 shot magazines here if someone is interested.
    Hi murph, thanks for the reply. If the 10 shot mag is for the .22 then yes I would be interested as I've made my mind up on buying the rifle.
    I lugged one of the early HW77's around every weekend from dawn til dusk (and then back out again after tea with the lamp) from the age of 14 til I was about 18. In those days there were no pneumatics and the HW77 was one of the heaviest springers around!
    Almost purely out of nostalgia I bought a HW97K when they arrived on the scene and I fancied a little trip back to my teens and a return to airgunning when in my late twenties.
    On picking up the rimfire in the shop and dry-firing it, feeling that o so familiar trigger I was back there in an instant! (I'm in my forties now) It put a smile on my face like I had a coat hanger stuck in my gob. Even my 12 year old son remarked "you really like that don't you dad".
    Gmorrice96 remarked above he'd have the rekord trigger in his Sauer, well I'll be bold enough to also say I'd also have it in both my Tikka and Sako!
    Sorry murph, just re-read your post and saw you refered to 'subs' please PM me.
    ATB Lee
    Last edited by leej; 01-02-2016 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorrice96 View Post
    hi Lee, that may be me you refer to regarding the magazines. I have the HW 60 in .17HMR. I have 2 mags and both had weak springs which caused problems with the last round feeding into the chamber properly and it tended to jam often. I called a couple of places with no success as they probably want to sell the mags and not the springs to fix the problem. I then called hull cartridge with the same type of response and felt pretty let down so I wrote an email to weihrauch directly and hey presto 2 new springs FOC in the post. I have changed them over and have yet to test but I noticed the new springs are slightly bigger so give a bit more push if you know what I mean.

I too used to and still do have their air rifles and also love the rekord trigger (I would have one in my sauer). hopefully the new springs and from now on new mags do not suffer from the issues seen previously as I think the rifles are faultless otherwise and an absolute pleasure to use. that being said a 10 shot mag would be a real treat. I think the issue there is that the rifles, as good as they are, do not sell in big enough quantities to make it worth their while.
    Again thanks for your reply too gmorrice96, but I'm not sure it is you I was refering to. I seem to remember the gent in question was not having feed problems but by memory he said his mags were actually falling apart. I could be completely wrong though, and if so I apolagise. Your input on this is valued by me.

ATB Lee

The new HW66 Production Thumbhole is a very handsome rifle, i will be getting one myself in 17HMR when my variation comes back

Ian.

I have three weihrauch rifles now! I have a 60j in 22lr, a 66 jagd-match in 17hmr and a 66 thumbhole in 222.

You could say I like them!

In my opinion they are some of the best made rifles I have come across, fantastically made and finished.

To me the thing that really sets them apart is the two stage triggers, they are my favourite triggers on any rifle I have used.

All parts are metal, no plastic magazines. I also have some 9 round magazines for the 22lr so don't let the mag size put you off.

if you were nearer you would be welcome to have a go on mine and judge for yourself. Once you have you wouldn't consider a cz

Hope that helps