Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 sako 123g game head

308 sako 123g game head

Anyone useing this ammo currently or recently. How did you fare out.

Certainly puts deer down. But does cause some heavy carcass damage/trauma. I've put some photos on here before on a similar thread.

HI boarboy. Where were you hitting them, heartlung area ? Did you shoot any deer cross sectional shots. Did you find the sako ammo accurate. Im using ppu and their ok but found they dont mushroom at all and break up in the carcass. I havent tried the sako ammo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cervusnippon2013 View Post
    HI boarboy. Where were you hitting them, heartlung area ? Did you shoot any deer cross sectional shots. Did you find the sako ammo accurate. Im using ppu and their ok but found they dont mushroom at all and break up in the carcass. I havent tried the sako ammo yet.
    I shot 2 deer just behind the front leg, about 120 yards, both dropped spot on. When I skinned them out you can see below! Accuracy ok, not amazing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	906.8 KB 
ID:	66140

A stated in previous threads, they were great on bigger deer but far too much damage on Roe and Muntjac.

Views:	50 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	66153
    The above from L-R shows
    1 .30 cal 208gr AMax
    2 .22 cal 52gr AMax
    3 .22 cal 55gr SP that had pass through a Roe shoulder, rib cage and was found in the off side shoulder still retaining some lead core. Deer shot at ~120yds
    4 .30 cal 125gr Sierra
    5 .30 cal 123gr Sako game head recovered in a Roe spine after deflecting upward and rearward after passing through near side shoulder and ribs. Massive trauma. Deer shot at ~215yds
    6 .30 cal 123gr Sako game head recovered about 6" in the ground after smashing through the front half of a Muntjac. Deer shot at ~65yds

Note that neither of the Sako bullets retained their lead cores (muzzle velocity ~3050fps). This is in comparison with a 55gr SP leaving the muzzle at ~3650fps that hit similar bone and yet still retained its core.

nb the AMax and Sierra are purely for scale.

Views:	28 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	66155Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	66156Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	66157
    Last edited by Biathlonjimmy; 01-02-2016 at 21:34. Reason: distances

You'll never have to go looking for them! I use them all the time everyone dropped on the spot from 30 to 200+. I must admit I havn't seen that sort of damage, just heart and lungs trashed. I find them very accurate too suits my rifle so I'll be keeping with them.

The others have pretty much said it.

Accurate and effective, but make a horrible mess at shorter range (sub 150 yards) or if you hit a shoulder. Only bullet I've used that's actually 'blown up' on a shoulder and not penetrated (fallow buck shot at 40 yards).

Very good for head/neck shots, and probably fine for bigger animals at slightly longer range. But just plain nasty on roe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    The others have pretty much said it.

Accurate and effective, but make a horrible mess at shorter range (sub 150 yards) or if you hit a shoulder. Only bullet I've used that's actually 'blown up' on a shoulder and not penetrated (fallow buck shot at 40 yards).

Very good for head/neck shots, and probably fine for bigger animals at slightly longer range. But just plain nasty on roe.
    I found the 125gr BT even worse. Very stubby kind of bullet, and cricket ball size holes on roe deer shoulders with hardly any penetration. These were hand loaded though and at close range so I don't know if that was a significance.

I've found them fine on fallow and Roe, H&L shots. Bit of trauma on one right across the inner exit side under the shoulder! One ripped up through, don't walk away that's for sure, heart shot on a muntie at a 100 for some reason only had the hocks and half a rack of ribs to deal with, 123 Bullet don't like muntjac, stuck with neck shots on those after that.

The round does the job nicely, but is a bit crunchy and flares out on contact with anything heavier than a rib