Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr CL SX

Steyr CL SX

Hi folks

just got my first FAC (thankyou Wiltshire constabulary for the prompt service) and now it's time to look at the options. I will go and look at the rifles myself but just wanted views on Steyr CL II SX and Sauer 101 XT from those who have handled/own one as I've only read two reviews in the magazines (and guess you have to take these with a pinch of salt). A Sako roughtech pro is also in the mix but they all seem to tick my checklist (synthetic stock but suitably stiff for bipod, screw cut, unload with safe on, reasonable carrying weight for 308, likely to last a lifetime) and will be used for woodland/lowland stalking and hopefully highland stalking in due course.

Many thanks

Richard

Recent thread on Steyr CLII, Sauer 101 and Mauser M12
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...mannlicher+cl2

Hi Southern - thanks yes I saw that - visited local dealer in the week and had a look at a few inc Mauser m12 impact, Sako 85 and roughtech (range) tikka t3 and Sauer 101 XT - the latter felt right for me as an initial impression - also all the others were stainless (or silver finish in case of Mauser) which whilst being a bit more practical just don't look right to me. Hopefully get to visit Steyr dealer in next couple of weeks and also see a roughtech pro. Will report back!

Cheers

Richard

Well i went and had a look at a CL II SX and it felt good, solid for a synthetic stock unlike some I've tried - slight concern that I could see daylight between the side of the action and the stock with no magazine in place but it was only a thin sliver and might be designed that way. Still haven't seen a Sako roughtech pro but the Sauer 101 XT and the Steyr CL are the two on top of the heap currently - looked at a S/h Sako 85 but every search on them turns up issues about ejected cases hitting the base of the scope - is it that common?

So any users of a Steyr CL ll SX out there wanting to report back on how good they are? Is there any benefit to the mountain model with the 20" barrel over the standard 22" ? Guess might be better for moving around in the high seat - not sure why 2" less barrel costs 40 more - bit like ladies underwear the less there is the more it costs!

cheers

richard

Having owned Steyr Mannlichers with barrels of 20, 22, 23.5 and 26 inches, I would say that I love 20 inches on the full stock, but in a .308 rifle, without hesitation, 22 inches. I love the iron sights on my newest ( 2014 ) 7x64, with 600 mm barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpond View Post
    bit like ladies underwear the less there is the more it costs!
    Sounds like the voice of experience!

I haven't seen the Steyr in its SX form but I can say that the 101 is truly excellent, especially for the money. It also, I believe, holds one extra round in the standard magazine over the Steyr if that is something that you might want? Look at the safety mechs too - quite different in the way they operate.

Z.

There is a review of the Steyr C2 SX in the Shooting Times this week.

Thanks all so it turns out Sauer 101xt is being replaced which means a closer look at the CLll SX I think - since I'm putting a can on the end and not that tall in stature the mountain version might reduce chance of catchIng the ground debris being 2" shorter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    There is a review of the Steyr C2 SX in the Shooting Times this week.
    guess not many folk have made the plunge yet.

thanks

richard

Sauer have just launched the 100. Nearly the same as the 101 but with 3 position side safety and conventional screwed in barrel instead of press fit. I would be looking at either the 100 or 101 but there again I personally dislike modern Steyr Mannlicher rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpond View Post
    looked at a S/h Sako 85 but every search on them turns up issues about ejected cases hitting the base of the scope - is it that common?
    not with mine ive had it for years and ive not had any problems with it, the rifles youve picked tho certainly come with a decent price tag as well fish pond im a big sako fan myself and i bought the rifle new and yes it cost me but i dont miss any more with my cheap cz than i do with my sako a nice tikka might fit the bill well for you as well, there billed as a poor mans sako but that certainly isnt the case there well made rifles that shoot as straight as the next