Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simmons WTC on T3 .308

Simmons WTC on T3 .308

Does anyone use a Simmons WTC 3.5 - 10 x 40 on a centerfire? I put one I had spare on my T3 .308 last night to try this week as it keeps the combo nice and light and compact for woodland stalking but I don't want to damage it.

Cheers

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Regular Poster
    I had one on my .243 for years without any problem

I have three of them (2no. 50mm and 1no. 40mm) on PCP air rifles and a 22LR...but they always market them as being centre fire capable, and I would be happy to use one on my .308.

Alan

Stratts maybe you would be best off doing a little internet reading on US shooting sites and see how popular they amy be over there. I think you will find they are quite well thought of for geeral hunting use. The impression I get is that a lot of US hunters do not see the point or need for expensive European glass on their rifles.

Thanks chaps I read that quite a few use the 50mm but wasn't sure if the smaller one made it more fragile so to speak. Only thing I need to see is how it gathers the light in the woods as I'm used to a 50mm Meopta and it can be quite murky under the canopy,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Stratts.

Mind me asking you (or anyone else!) about mounting the scope in the optilocks?

I've got similar for my first setup - T3 .308 with 1" optilocks - and have so far only loose mounted my scope as I'm a bit unsure about getting torque right on the various screws. Just wondered if you bothered with precise torque settings (I don't have a variable torque driver...) or just good old-fashioned judgement?!

I think the base to ring and base to receiver screws will just be a case of getting them up as tight as I can but I don't want to over tighten the ring screws and either strip them or leave the scope over/under tightened.

I'm probably over-thinking this but as it's my first crack at it I don't want to make a howling arse of it!

Cheers,

Andy

A scope cannot gather light it can only transmit available light. That is unless it has all changed in the time that I have been out of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    A scope cannot gather light it can only transmit available light. That is unless it has all changed in the time that I have been out of shooting.
    One can see better through a scope at twilight than with the naked eye (usually). Some scopes allow you to see better in darker conditions than others.

I had one on a 22.250. worked a treat. Sold it with the rifle and I wish I had kept it.
    Tusker

I have an older 3.5-10x40mm which came on a fine .22 LR. It is very clear and bright. I put in on a new T3 7mm-08 for testing ammo, and almost left it there, but put on the 2-7x35mm Burris, as planned. The Simmons is now headed for a 6.5x55mm where I have been using the iron sights for years, for new load testing. I think this scope of mine, and Stratts, is now replaced by something else.