Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And it all goes wrong!

And it all goes wrong!

Just been out to zero my Browning A bolt in preparation for a days stalking in March. 100gr federal powershock, safety off, 1st round down range, good hit, 1" above at 100m, re-cock, bloody bolt won't lift high enough to come back, big stone later, handle back round ejected, same again, same problem, cycle live rounds no firing, all good, try again, same problem. Try 58gr V max, same problem. Bolt will not lift high enough to come back, on closer inspection cases are all fine, no blackening, however, the paint seems to be chipped at the top of the bolt lift and receiver area.

Any ideas, still under warranty.

Dom
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dom8328 View Post
    Just been out to zero my Browning A bolt in preparation for a days stalking in March. 100gr federal powershock, safety off, 1st round down range, good hit, 1" above at 100m, re-cock, bloody bolt won't lift high enough to come back, big stone later, handle back round ejected, same again, same problem, cycle live rounds no firing, all good, try again, same problem. Try 58gr V max, same problem. Bolt will not lift high enough to come back, on closer inspection cases are all fine, no blackening, however, the paint seems to be chipped at the top of the bolt lift and receiver area.

Any ideas, still under warranty.

Dom
    Ive had this with cheapo PPU but not Federal , have you used this rifle before without issues or is it new ? either way back to the smith I`d say as it could be a head space issue, one problem may be you wont get it back in time for your trip
    Last edited by TikkaFan; 03-02-2016 at 16:52.

Used it before with both loads and its been fine, just not what I need 4 weeks before my trip.

How many rounds has it fired?
    When was the last time you cleaned the chamber?
    Just wondering if you have a carbon ring built up in the throat area of your rifle causing high pressure in previous working ammo.
    Last edited by dave 67; 03-02-2016 at 17:15.

Dom check screw on the underside of bolt the screw had worked loose on mine if same problem cheers
    Logic will get you from A to B DEERSTALKING will take you everywhere

Let's hope so that would be a quick fix

Account Suspended
    Another problem is a lot of rifle suppliers / gun shops are not gunsmiths and usually send everything off to someone who is, lost time ,so due to your location I`d talk to Baldie at Valkyrie and ask if he`d cast his eye (and gauges) over your rifle , very few in the UK know more about rifles than he does.

valkyrierifles.net

Address:
    Valkyrie Rifles

Unit 27 , Century Park Network Centre , Dearne lane,
    Manvers
    Rotherham South Yorkshire s63 5de United Kingdom

Hours of operation:
    9-5 Monday to Friday.

Phone:
    07889 388378
    Office hours only.
    Last edited by TikkaFan; 03-02-2016 at 17:34.

Guys thanks very much, it's now in a gunsmiths in Ripon, it's cleaned after every use and had less than 200 rounds through it. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaFan View Post
    Another problem is a lot of rifle suppliers / gun shops are not gunsmiths and usually send everything off to someone who is, lost time ,so due to your location I`d talk to Baldie at Valkyrie and ask if he`d cast his eye (and gauges) over your rifle , very few in the UK know more about rifles than he does.

valkyrierifles.net

Address:
    Valkyrie Rifles

Unit 27 , Century Park Network Centre , Dearne lane,
    Manvers
    Rotherham South Yorkshire s63 5de United Kingdom

Hours of operation:
    9-5 Monday to Friday.

Phone:
    07889 388378
    Office hours only.
    Baldy Dave, you'll have to go a long way to find someone better than Dave and in my opinion you probably won't, also shoots his own builds to a very high
    Bloody nice bloke as well, had a few good laughs with him when I used to shoot up at Diggle.

Twatem, would that not prevent the bolt going forward too?