Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd funding

Crowd funding

Crowd funding bid

The very small publishing company that's undertaken to bring my next book to life is struggling to meet the production costs.
    This is partly due to the fact that it's a much bigger project than they'd anticipated, but primarily it's because they insist on having it printed by a small UK based (Scottish) company rather than export the whole job to China - admirable ethics, but unfortunately they come at a price.

Therefore they've launched a crowd funding bid to help cover the costs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/homefarmer/viable-self-sufficiency

I think that the rewards for pledges represent very good value, but if you feel it's not for you please help anyway by circulating this request among other social media sites you may be involved with.

Thanks for reading.

VSS

Delighted to help & good luck with the project.

Not sure I understand crowd funding. Is this a 'donation' or 'investment'?.

It's essentially a donation but if you donate with this project at a level of £30 & above you will receive rewards, starting with a copy of the book up to a glamping experience for 4

Thanks McKenzie

243ack - the principle of crowdfunding is that folk who pledge to support the project when it goes ahead then receive some sort of reward proportional to the level of support they're offering, so it's somewhere between donation and investment. For example, in this case, someone who pledges at the lowest level (£30) receives a copy of the book which would normally retail at £40. Further up the scale there's other rewards such as free advertising, magazine subscriptions etc.
    If you follow the link you'll see all the "rewards" on offer listed down the right hand side of the page somewhere.

It's quite a popular way for small companies or community groups to get new projects up and running.
    Last edited by VSS; 04-02-2016 at 09:59.

Seems to be working then, average pledge so far is over £113
    That to me is a very, very expensive read.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Seems to be working then, average pledge so far is over £113
    That to me is a very, very expensive read.

Neil.

It's not quite as simple as that Neil - a £30 pledge, when paid, buys the book, so it's a cheaper read than if someone were to buy the book after publication.
    Higher amounts get higher rewards.

(I should just add that no monies are collected from backers unless the target sum is reached).
    Last edited by VSS; 04-02-2016 at 16:39.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    An admirable project, and full marks for utilising crowd-funding to publish a book on self-sufficiency

I was part of the crowd-funding behind another book, Happy End, which was one man's photographic survey of planes that have crashed in some of the world's most remote locations: http://www.wired.com/2013/04/finding...ing-airplanes/ and Happy End - a PhotoBook about Miracles in Aviation | Indiegogo Dietmar Eckell raised over $57,000 in two months, all from crowd-funding.

I hope your venture achieves similar richly-deserved recognition
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 04-02-2016 at 19:19.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    An admirable project, and full marks for utilising crowd-funding to publish a book on self-sufficiency

I was part of the crowd-funding behind another book, Happy End, which was one man's photographic survey of planes that have crashed in some of the world's most remote locations: http://www.wired.com/2013/04/finding...ing-airplanes/ and Happy End - a PhotoBook about Miracles in Aviation | Indiegogo Dietmar Eckell raised over $57,000 in two months, all from crowd-funding.

I hope your venture achieves similar richly-deserved recognition
    Thanks willie_gunn!

It's been a long slog, and a real "labour of love" based on a lifetime of experience - but the end's in sight at last!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Thanks willie_gunn!

It's been a long slog, and a real "labour of love" based on a lifetime of experience - but the end's in sight at last!
    All credit to you for sticking with it.

I remember John Seymour's original book on self-sufficiency when it first came out - timed perfectly to coincide with "The Good Life". Although the result, at least in my parents case, was a vegetable patch in the garden rather than a smallholding, it helped to establish the direct connection between the food we eat, how it is grown or reared, and the land on which all of this takes place.

If your book can do the same for the current generation then it will have been well worthwhile. Best of British luck to you.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!