Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 v .308 recoil

.270 v .308 recoil

I've never fired a .270, does it kick more than a .308? I'm guessing a touch more muzzle flip than the .308? How would say a 130gr .270 compare to .150gr .308? I know you have to factor in barrel length e.t.c, modertator choice, but just for basic comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I've never fired a .270, does it kick more than a .308? I'm guessing a touch more muzzle flip than the .308? How would say a 130gr .270 compare to .150gr .308? I know you have to factor in barrel length e.t.c, modertator choice, but just for basic comparison?
    308 kick??

.....sensitive soul are we?

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    308 kick??

.....sensitive soul are we?
    Ha ha, no, Used a 308 for over ten years. Just wondered how it compared to the .270?

As the owner of two .270 rifles, one modded, the other not and is a stutzen.. Yes they kick but I've shot a mates 308 and really, I couldnt tell the difference. If you think it's going to hurt.. It probably will.

The short answer is that they are similar enough that it's the characteristics of the rifle and set up that make the difference, not the round.

Shoot a .270 from a heavy, long barrelled rifle and it will seem much tamer than a .308 from a light, short barrelled rifle (and vice versa).

I have both .270 and .308, both in heavy, old fashioned rifles with 24" unmoderated barrels, and I don't notice a difference. I also don't find either at all unpleasant to shoot.

And of course once you moderate them, there really is nothing to worry about at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    The short answer is that they are similar enough that it's the characteristics of the rifle and set up that make the difference, not the round.

Shoot a .270 from a heavy, long barrelled rifle and it will seem much tamer than a .308 from a light, short barrelled rifle (and vice versa).

I have both .270 and .308, both in heavy, old fashioned rifles with 24" unmoderated barrels, and I don't notice a difference. I also don't find either at all unpleasant to shoot.

And of course once you moderate them, there really is nothing to worry about at all.
    Have both and definitely agree with Mungo, so similar that the difference will be the rifle much moreso than the cartridge. I think the 270 is more of a natural fit for a larger rifle since it already requires a long action and should benerally benefit from a longish (ie 24") barrel since it is an overbore cartridge. The 308 is a natural fit for light weight shorter barrel setups with its short action and high efficiency with shorter barrels.

There is a big difference in muzzle blast from a 20 inch to a 24 inch .270 Win, and that contributes to perceived recoil. I have both, a heavy custom Mauser and a lithe little Steyr Model M Luxus Stutzen. To tell the truth, the 6 lb ( unloaded ) Steyr seems to have less recoil than some heavy .308s I own. But it is louder. I would have loved to have this Steyr in a .308, but I decided I just wanted another one right then, tired of looking, regardless of cartridge, and I get happier with it in .270 every time I take it hunting.

I have a 22-inch barreled Rem 700 in walnut, and get high velocities from it, and it is also light and a joy afield, carrying and shooting.

The point of telling you all this is: don't shy from a lighter .270. A Tikka T3 Lite or a T3 Forester in nice walnut would be a great rifle to carry all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I had an unmoderated Sauer 90 in .270 as my first centrefire, I can't say that recoil ever bothered me especially whilst stalking, and comparing it to friends 308 on range days didn't throw up any real questions or differences either. (I wasn't looking to compare recoil though).
    If you are using this as a means to help make a decision on what calibre to invest in, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll find plenty of other reasons to debate respective benefits! bottom line is that they will both do the job.

Worth putting your numbers into a recoil calculator in view of the rather consistent manner in which the laws of physics apply in the real world :-)

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgi
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/