Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Ammunition Group

Lead Ammunition Group

The website for the Lead Ammunition Group can be found here http://www.leadammunitiongroup.co.uk/. It's worth reading the exchange of letters in "Background to the Group" which gives you the paper trail on its foundation.

It's also worth reading the Editor of "Sporting Shooter" James Marchington's blog on the subject for 19th May "the truth about the Lead Ammunition Group" here: http://jamesmarchington.blogspot.com/ .

David

Just had a look at the site and read the letters covering the background. I have to say I'm glad BASC are involved, I can't think of anyone else that could represent us as well.

Cheers for posting the link.

It's good that we can monitor their progress via the web site, I'll be keeping an eye!!

Glad to help, its an important issue and important that everyone knows the full background to all this.

David

Looks like the final report is imminent. There is a leaked/released(?) email on the shootinguk.co.uk website that makes interesting reading. I wonder what implications this will have for rifle shooters in the long term?

I've already changed as the FC are starting to do. Evo green bullets with ballistic tip,in 30cal 126 grain tin partition, Deer certainly don't seem to know the difference,very effective at normal (out to 250yds) range.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

if they do ban lead the police will be snowed under by variations and one for ones
    will they change legal calibre and muzzle energy laws?
    seems Norway have gone the other way

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Looks like the final report is imminent. There is a leaked/released(?) email on the shootinguk.co.uk website that makes interesting reading. I wonder what implications this will have for rifle shooters in the long term?
    I don`t think the rifle brigade will suffer adversely, other than personal grumbles about having to change away from lead... There are some effective monolithic bullets in the market place already, and if there is a sudden mass market, then technology will advance further in that area, based on the demand.

My understanding, is that the Game shooting arena will be massively impacted, and that will cause more resentment than it will for rifles. Having shot more duck this year than normal, I can say that even using 34grms of Steel 4`s, I have never had so many runners... If this were to be applied to pheasant, partridges etc, then I can see the nasty spectre of `animal welfare` coming to the fore, and the antis saying that it is causing too much suffering... lead will not come back, ergo, they have another avenue to pursue their ultimate agenda, a total gameshooting ban.... Even if a lead ban came in to play, how many people would be guilty of still using lead shot, and bring the fraternity in to more disrepute....

Having read this weeks Shooting Times, I wonder if we ( the shooting community ) are not being set up for a fall.... The LAG chairman is a shooting man, and ex BASC Chairman, so if his final report on the findings of the committee is in favour of a phased ban on lead ammunition - despite no new research / evidence based info to back it up being used for this decision, there will be no recourse, and those pursuing this agenda - RSPB, Wetland Trust, etc will say, `it was approved by the shooting community`....

If the latest leaked memo is true, then personally, I would feel that we have been let down - and our pro shooting organisations not vocal enough during the process.... Again it comes down to people doing too little too late... If all of the shooters holding a valid FAC / SGC in the country, were a member of one pro - body, our voice would be massive, yet I know of so many people who are not a member, yet who will complain bitterly when it is too late....

Having attended a deer initiative event some years ago where John swift was questioned on this issue it was clear his mind was made up. We have been let down by John swift both during his tenure with basc and the lag. His stance has always been conciliatory rather than proactively defensive. I also recall Peter green being extremely cross at the meeting due to mr swifts comments and the 'scientist' working on behalf of basc knowing very little about ballistics. The whole process is very sad. Doubly so that js has been allowed to steer the process. Take note of that leaked memo: it proves the cosy little relationships on which our collective death by a thousand cuts is based. Basc and particularly John swift should be ashamed of the position in which they have allowed the shooting community to be placed. I can only say that it is up to those good men within basc to attempt to rectify this and for members to vote with their conscience and their feet.

The Lead Ammunition Group seems to be being used as a vehicle for the phased elimination of lead ammunition, rather than a vehicle for opposing further restrictions. Much seems to be being said about lead shot in all that I've read, but very little, if anything about other lead ammunition. For instance, what happens to .22 rim fire ammo? What about ordinary riffle ammunition? Plus the fact that live quarry shooting is not the be all and end all of shooting. Target shooting has to be taken into consideration as well as muzzle loading and other "classic firearm" disciplines. Where, for instance do we get lead free bullets for our .303's, 6.5mm Arisakas, 8mm Lebels, etc, etc.
    Every time BASC are pressed on the subject they give the same mealy mouthed reply "we are opposed to further restrictions in the absence of evidence",or words to that effect. Their response should be "we are opposed to any further restrictions" full stop.
    I may be being paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not after me.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post

Having read this weeks Shooting Times, I wonder if we ( the shooting community ) are not being set up for a fall.... The LAG chairman is a shooting man, and ex BASC Chairman, so if his final report on the findings of the committee is in favour of a phased ban on lead ammunition - despite no new research / evidence based info to back it up being used for this decision, there will be no recourse, and those pursuing this agenda - RSPB, Wetland Trust, etc will say, `it was approved by the shooting community`....

If the latest leaked memo is true, then personally, I would feel that we have been let down - and our pro shooting organisations not vocal enough during the process.... Again it comes down to people doing too little too late... If all of the shooters holding a valid FAC / SGC in the country, were a member of one pro - body, our voice would be massive, yet I know of so many people who are not a member, yet who will complain bitterly when it is too late....
    I can't say that I hold Jonathon Swift in very high esteem, many will remember him praising Alun Michael for his hunting bill, perhaps Mr Swift would feel more at home at LACS? It would be nice if he could get onto SD and clarify precisely where he stands both on hunting and lead shot.

atb Tim