Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whales

whales

why don't they just cull them when they beach themselfs they don't survive anyway

Pr people would go mad. There was footage on face book of a guy cutting off the lower jaw people were outraged that "this scum" was cutting up a dead animal

They said on the news that they couldn't be 'put to sleep'. I'm guessing that the amount of tranquiliser would be vast and expensive and then disposal of toxic carcass would be problematic? Surely even restricting the breathing would be better than a long and painful death. That then got me thinking (dangerous I know!) about whale humane dispatch! There must be a way you could kill one with a big enough gun? This article I found would suggest so:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...l_a_whale.html
    Surely it would be worth getting a person equipped and trained to do this? Imagine that as a condition on your FAC?
    Or, they could just call a local Japanese restaurant?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That then got me thinking (dangerous I know!) about whale humane dispatch! There must be a way you could kill one with a big enough gun?
    Surely it would be worth getting a person equipped and trained to do this? Imagine that as a condition on your FAC?
    Yup, it's been discussed on here before:

Post #6

More interestingly Post #11

It seems that a 6.5x55 with a 140 or 156 gn bullet was a big enough gun Post #13

Although admittedly a Minkie whale is a bit smaller than the recent strandings.

17hmr all you need for any living thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    Pr people would go mad. There was footage on face book of a guy cutting off the lower jaw people were outraged that "this scum" was cutting up a dead animal
    aye I noticed that jake, people like that should be ignored tho, if the whales already dead its gona be hacked up and dumped in landfill sites, why not sell it off cheep for dog meat and donate the cash to save the whale

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    why don't they just cull them when they beach themselfs they don't survive anyway
    They often do, if they're confident the animal is unsavable and they can do it without the media going nuts. I have a good friend who works as a cetacean stranding response coodinator in the States (Florida to Alabama), and they put quite a lot of them down. There's a fairly comprehensive check list they go through with regard to state, time since stranding, temperature etc. If I understand right, the 'tranquilizer' of choice is a .30-06.

But it gets complicated if the media get there first or one of the more bleeding heart of the charities...

it offends so called whale lovers to see a whale used for a use when there dead, and it offends me when the so called caring media give out updates for days on end of an animale suffering, in fact it makes me wonder what kind of ppl they are ..sick id call it

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    aye I noticed that jake, people like that should be ignored tho, if the whales already dead its gona be hacked up and dumped in landfill sites, why not sell it off cheep for dog meat and donate the cash to save the whale
    I think that it is absolutely crazy to remove dead whales to landfill. Surely it would be far more environmentally friendly to tow them off shore and blow them up, their remains would then go back into the food chain via all the sea creatures that will feed on them

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I think that it is absolutely crazy to remove dead whales to landfill. Surely it would be far more environmentally friendly to tow them off shore and blow them up, their remains would then go back into the food chain via all the sea creatures that will feed on them
    Agreed.

I find it deplorable that these animals are not being euthanised to prevent suffering. Once ascertained that they can not return to their natural environment they should be euthanised.