whales

Pr people would go mad. There was footage on face book of a guy cutting off the lower jaw people were outraged that "this scum" was cutting up a dead animal

They said on the news that they couldn't be 'put to sleep'. I'm guessing that the amount of tranquiliser would be vast and expensive and then disposal of toxic carcass would be problematic? Surely even restricting the breathing would be better than a long and painful death. That then got me thinking (dangerous I know!) about whale humane dispatch! There must be a way you could kill one with a big enough gun? This article I found would suggest so:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/06/how_do_you_kill_a_whale.html
Surely it would be worth getting a person equipped and trained to do this? Imagine that as a condition on your FAC?
Or, they could just call a local Japanese restaurant?:coat:
MS

That then got me thinking (dangerous I know!) about whale humane dispatch! There must be a way you could kill one with a big enough gun?
Surely it would be worth getting a person equipped and trained to do this? Imagine that as a condition on your FAC?

Yup, it's been discussed on here before:

Post #6

More interestingly Post #11

It seems that a 6.5x55 with a 140 or 156 gn bullet was a big enough gun Post #13

Although admittedly a Minkie whale is a bit smaller than the recent strandings.

Pr people would go mad. There was footage on face book of a guy cutting off the lower jaw people were outraged that "this scum" was cutting up a dead animal

aye I noticed that jake, people like that should be ignored tho, if the whales already dead its gona be hacked up and dumped in landfill sites, why not sell it off cheep for dog meat and donate the cash to save the whale

why don't they just cull them when they beach themselfs they don't survive anyway

They often do, if they're confident the animal is unsavable and they can do it without the media going nuts. I have a good friend who works as a cetacean stranding response coodinator in the States (Florida to Alabama), and they put quite a lot of them down. There's a fairly comprehensive check list they go through with regard to state, time since stranding, temperature etc. If I understand right, the 'tranquilizer' of choice is a .30-06.

But it gets complicated if the media get there first or one of the more bleeding heart of the charities...

it offends so called whale lovers to see a whale used for a use when there dead, and it offends me when the so called caring media give out updates for days on end of an animale suffering, in fact it makes me wonder what kind of ppl they are ..sick id call it

aye I noticed that jake, people like that should be ignored tho, if the whales already dead its gona be hacked up and dumped in landfill sites, why not sell it off cheep for dog meat and donate the cash to save the whale
I think that it is absolutely crazy to remove dead whales to landfill. Surely it would be far more environmentally friendly to tow them off shore and blow them up, their remains would then go back into the food chain via all the sea creatures that will feed on them

I think that it is absolutely crazy to remove dead whales to landfill. Surely it would be far more environmentally friendly to tow them off shore and blow them up, their remains would then go back into the food chain via all the sea creatures that will feed on them

Agreed.

I find it deplorable that these animals are not being euthanised to prevent suffering. Once ascertained that they can not return to their natural environment they should be euthanised.

If they were euthanized then all the eejits and media would have nothing to cry, beat there chests and tear their hair out over and then get into prolonged dilemmas about how we are all somehow contributing to this stranded beasties demise, if only we were 'better' people, why don't we all go vegan and knit our own shoes.
Response should be straightforward. Clear the beach. Any ***** decides to spray CND signs on its tail or kitesurf over its body gets a night at her majesties pleasure to reflect. Cetacean rescue/ vet check - can it be rescued/ will it survive? If not, bang - poor bugger out its misery and everyone can go home.
All this hand wringing drives me insane.

Hi This could be a problem in the summer. If they put them to sleep. Think of the picture wife sunbathing on beach, they might think beached whale lets put her down. Mmmmm
Jim

Just as you posted Billy the meat can be used to feed many animals even if it goes to the zoos.

great idea howard, I mean the whale lovers hate zoos but surly they must see the sence in that, id even try it, if its good enough for the Icelanders well I canny see why not, Heston bloomin wits it could surley dress it up nice on a plate :thumb:,

I think that responsibility for beached whales should be given to the RSPCA. Then they can consider whether they can pour buckets of water over them and prolong their agony as much as possible, or euthanize them. They will then find that from a public's point of view there's no up side. Either they are being cruel or killing. Life would be a female dog!

In all seriousness, if all avenues to save these beasts have been investigated and found to be impossible then their agony should be curtailed and damn what the media or anybody else says.

It's all 'Man's Fault' apparently...

Although, like Skywull, I'd love to try some of the meat. Just the one time, mind, in case I develop a taste for it..

Last edited:
I've always wondered if whales deliberately beach themselves for some unknown reason and we humans think we should interfere with the natural order of things.

It's crazy in the old days a whale washing ashore was a blessing free food today people have gone nuts with all this nonsense we seen to forget that we are only animals like the whales if the people were starving they would be fighting over it ,we forget where we came from

Back