Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army surplus buffalo shirt

Army surplus buffalo shirt

I was hoping someone might have some feedback from what they thought of the current army buffalo type shirt. I've been looking for a mid/outer layer and on paper they look grand. I was just wondering if anyone had tried one and had any thoughts.

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    I was hoping someone might have some feedback from what they thought of the current army buffalo type shirt. I've been looking for a mid/outer layer and on paper they look grand. I was just wondering if anyone had tried one and had any thoughts.

thanks in advance
    I've got a couple and they're ok. get a size or 2 bigger than you think you need as the arms come up short. They aren't the warmest, but that makes them ideal as a mid layer if you're doing any moving around. Very comfy to.

I also have a genuine buffalo top, and i wear the new issue one more than the original as the original is too warm for most things!

Hope that helps!

As above, excellent mid layer or by itself if it's not wet. Also go up a size as they're fairly snug fitting.

Bought one in the Arktis sale- excellent bit of kit.

If you want max warmth then go for the genuine buffalo special 6 as they are a little different in construction and so are warmer. Other than that most surplus clothing now is pretty reasonable, at least fit for purpose, and in some cases (windproof smocks for example) about the best thing you can have for the job.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    If you want max warmth then go for the genuine buffalo special 6 as they are a little different in construction and so are warmer. Other than that most surplus clothing now is pretty reasonable, at least fit for purpose, and in some cases (windproof smocks for example) about the best thing you can have for the job.
    I've always found the Buffalo expensive for what you get, about twice the price or a snugpak if you look about and I find the snugpak a better fit, I'm a large in a snugpak but a xxxl in a buffalo!!!! Work that out if you can! I got a snugpak from UK TACTICAL, a great company to deal with, for 55 quid, it comes with 2 hoods, I'm on about my 4th one, top kit imo.

My Buffalo is still going strong after 24 years service. The fluffy inside is quite worn now, but compared to the new one I tried on a few years back, it's now just 'toasty' instead of 'hot'. The Pertex outer material is still fully intact with no rips or tears, although in an environment where such was possible, I would always wear underneath my Army Windproof as the waterproof (and warm) layer. Now having a Pro Hunter Jacket, I now only tend to use for walking in the winter or wet summer stalks underneath the Army Windproof. Wearing as an outer layer just requires a T-Shirt underneath in cool weather and a Norwegian Army Shirt in colder weather, right down to freezing/snow. An outstanding bit of kit, worth every penny and quite possibly, my best ever purchase.
    Tim

Many thanks for all the feedback chaps, plenty of food for thought.

cheers

jonty

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Bought one in the Arktis sale- excellent bit of kit.

I have an Arktis one as well, brilliant kit