Light for Wild Boar

I have never hunted wild boar with a light but a dear friend, who have killed hundreds of boar with the light says under white light you have two seconds, under red three or four.
I have studied something about and it depends mainly about them eyes sensitive and in the fact they associated easier the White light to a risk instead of a red light.

I have never hunted wild boar with a light but a dear friend, who have killed hundreds of boar with the light says under white light you have two seconds, under red three or four.
I have studied something about and it depends mainly about them eyes sensitive and in the fact they associated easier the White light to a risk instead of a red light.

At the range (high seat) you would be shooting at, any gen1 NV would do the job especially with the newer black light illuminators available.

ATB WB

If thats true the ebay has a chinese made laser spotter for under £40 which would be ideal ,i got 1 to try and the range is amazing ,you can wide beam or pin point with it ,cant do links but just type in laser designator and theres pages of them atb

Thank you to all for you seuggestions, i can't use a 1 gen NV because i have a unique rifle and in the moring i use it for deer about laser spotter I have tried to seach them on eby but I don't find anything can you link me someone(Also in pm)?
Other ideas? My starting idea was to find a big surefire a good price ad use it with a scope mount which is your opinion about this?

There is a problem with the laser designators. They do not like cold weather or rain. It's like looking into a blur. I bought one and never use it for this reason.

Great thing to know, thank you for your help

I'm not an experienced "lamper", and struggled shooting with a lamp when I was in Hungary. I'm sure it will vary from one hunting area, to another, depending on what the boar are used to, but 1-2 seconds sounds about right, and I was using a Green light.

If you can justify the cost, one of these http://www.thomasjacks.co.uk/yukon/product.asp?ref=2268and some QD mounts for both scopes should work very well at the 30-70m you normally shoot at night from a seat.

A simple T20 with interchangeable coloured LEDs , white, red, green or IR. Etc.
With a small scope mounted adjustable clamp from ant supplies .

Or

I have a home made scope mounted Night vision add on that I can move to any of my rifles and it works great .... You are looking at a small screen instead of looking thru the scope but shooting position is I just can't my head back slightlŷ to view .
Goes on & off the rifle in less than 30 seconds and no,change to normal zero

There are few options to you

Paul

A simple T20 with interchangeable coloured LEDs , white, red, green or IR. Etc.
With a small scope mounted adjustable clamp from ant supplies .

Or

I have a home made scope mounted Night vision add on that I can move to any of my rifles and it works great .... You are looking at a small screen instead of looking thru the scope but shooting position is I just can't my head back slightlŷ to view .
Goes on & off the rifle in less than 30 seconds and no,change to normal zero

There are few options to you

Paul

Have you some tutorial of night vision system?

If you got to

Nightvisionforumuk.com

The gent who made mine is on there, along with a good few other gents who home build some fantastic stuff that's better than equivalent commerciL bought stuff , for good few pennies less

Look on there & there are a few pinned threads on what needed & how to build

Paul

T67 with green pill on wide beam on lowest setting, (3 stage lamp) boar show no reaction to these but I have sat in my vehicle in the field and had them in the headlamps without them running. Maybe something to do with them walking along the main roads and rooting the verges and take no notice of passing vehicles.

I've had very good success using a red light, my torch is scope mounted and has a red filter. The filter dims the beam greatly, beyond 65-70yds I only get eye shine and the animal is not lit brightly enough to shoot.
I have shot at least 70 boar using this method in the past year, most of them under 50yds, they very rarely even look up from feeding or are aware of my presence, I put that down to the brightness of the beam being so low.
I have a thermal imager for spotting, using the TI I manoeuvre to a suitable shooting position, it is quite easy to get within 30-40yds. A boars best method of detecting you is scent, their sense of smell is phenomenal, you have to stay downwind.

ATB

T

I've had very good success using a red light, my torch is scope mounted and has a red filter. The filter dims the beam greatly, beyond 65-70yds I only get eye shine and the animal is not lit brightly enough to shoot.
I have shot at least 70 boar using this method in the past year, most of them under 50yds, they very rarely even look up from feeding or are aware of my presence, I put that down to the brightness of the beam being so low.
I have a thermal imager for spotting, using the TI I manoeuvre to a suitable shooting position, it is quite easy to get within 30-40yds. A boars best method of detecting you is scent, their sense of smell is phenomenal, you have to stay downwind.

ATB

T

Hiya Tom, got that chiller going yet

Hi Barry,

Not yet. I did put a post on SD a while back, unfortunately I had one no show and the other chap who did come and look at it, promised me everything turned out to be more full of s**t than a Christmas Turkey. If you know anyone who maybe able to help connect up a lorry chiller to the mains please let me know, it does have a 240v hook up so can't be that difficult?

I am very lucky, I have the use of 2 chillers on a couple of local estates I shoot but it would be nice to get this one sorted.

Hope all is well and good with you and you managed to sort the idiots who did a runner a few weeks back.

ATB

Tom

With boars at night depends on the light you have from the sky, how much stressed are the animals and so on.
I have a Gen 1 Yukon nigh vision monocular, and it's not worth the money ... a good torch with green filter will do it right at 100 meters! don't need monster power to blind the boars just something good enough to see them shape, some will stay maybe 10 seconds before moving others 2-3 sec

Back