Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being a referee ?

Being a referee ?

Hi guys. I was asked to be a referee for the farmers sons renewal ( hes had a ticket for 10 years) no problem as ive known him since he was born.

I took a call from the FLO on wednesday with the usual questions But whats stuck in my mind was he asked me " if i was aware of my liabilitys and implications of being a referee " ?

Ive never been asked this before

What exactly would the implications ? and my liabilties of being a referee be ??

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    You're providing your opinion to the police on the applicants fitness to possess a firearm, but the decision to grant the license rests with the police, though, so not quite sure what they mean by liabilities. So long as you've answered openly and honestly you will have fulfilled your obligations.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    Hi guys. I was asked to be a referee for the farmers sons renewal ( hes had a ticket for 10 years) no problem as ive known him since he was born.

I took a call from the FLO on wednesday with the usual questions But whats stuck in my mind was he asked me " if i was aware of my liabilitys and implications of being a referee " ?

Ive never been asked this before

What exactly would the implications ? and my liabilties of being a referee be ??

With respect thats a question for your FLO,not us lot.....

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    You're providing your opinion to the police on the applicants fitness to possess a firearm, but the decision to grant the license rests with the police, though, so not quite sure what they mean by liabilities. So long as you've answered openly and honestly you will have fulfilled your obligations.
    I would be inclined to agree with WG - although I think the phrase "openly and honestly" may be key in that if someone were to knowingly or recklessly make a false, inaccurate or misleading statement that resulted in assisting an inappropriate individual obtain, or perhaps even attempt to obtain, a ticket then they may perhaps find themselves exposed to some form of 'implications/liabilities'?
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    With respect thats a question for your FLO,not us lot.....
    It kinda caught me on the hop so to speak. Ive no quams about being the lads ref.

I would suggest that the onus is to provide a true a fair response to his questions. If you knew he was a heavy drinking lunatic and you instead said that he was a highly responsible individual and didn't volunteer such information then you would be guilty of some offence - perverting the course of justice.

Maybe i picked him up wrong. But i thought he was meaning if anything untoward ever happened then i could be liable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    It kinda caught me on the hop so to speak. Ive no quams about being the lads ref.
    I was a referee for someone who did five years for doing something stupid with a Firearm, I didn't even get a phone call from the Police about it.

Probably just wanted to concentrate your mind.......

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Probably just wanted to concentrate your mind.......
    Or maybe his FLO is a member of the Site and fancied sparking a debate
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!