Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very unusual shot

Very unusual shot

Out stalking Roe last weekend I had an extremely unusual, I would have previously said, impossible shot. I shot a doe from a high seat at about 90 yards and she ran a bit then went down as I expected. However she then trashed a bit, got up and started trotting off across my front. Shouting didn't stop her so I took a shot on the move although she was moving fairly quickly and fortunately she went straight down and didn't move. Guessing 70 yards by now. Going over to gralloch here is what I found

The first shot was a tad high and hit right on the point of the shoulder, the bullet blowing up and going right up her neck - the wound was about 5 inches wide and about 14 inches long completely exposing point of shoulder, scapula and most of neck bone, somehow it didn't break the neck. And now the unusual bit. There was a wide hole from sternum to about mid udder - just as though she had been gralloched. Groaning inwardly I was expecting a very messy gralloch. Not a bit of it - every scrap of bag, intestines, spleen and even both kidneys had all gone and she was completely, utterly clean inside with not a drop of blood even. The liver was still intact. It was as tho I had gralloched her myself.

I am still reflecting how that might have happened - a low shot to the sternum, bullet fragmenting and sucking everything out via hydrostatic action??

Rifle is 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gun ballistic tip

Interested in views and similar experiences

Sh1kar

Did you not find anything between point of first shot site and the second?
    Last edited by shotguntom; 05-02-2016 at 17:19.

I've had this vaccum out effect on munjac many times with 125 ballistic tips out of a 30-06 @ 3300fps

I think it's known in the trade as a one shot gralloch !

Very unusual!

Did you get any photos?

I shot a muntjac couple of years ago from a high seat, at about 70 yards, with a .270 130gr Norma soft point, shot placement just behind the shoulder, and it was first time and so far the last, when i experienced this. Found the gralloch 10 ft away from the dead muntjac.
    Still trying to find an explanation to date.

unfortunately didn't get any photos or look for gralloch It was getting quite dark (altho the V8 Zeiss made it look like daylight!!!) and I just dragged the beast from where it dropped to edge of field to do the gralloch - not realising it was academic

Betterrfiles I guess similar - my 140 grainers are doing around 3400-3500 fps

If only i knew what the shot placement was to do this everytime.....

I shot a Roe Doe just after Christmas with a 280AI, 120 Barnes doing 3395 fps. Perfect shot, severed the blood vessels at the top of the heart. Tiny entry wound, 2" exit hole. As I approached her after the shot I was amazed to find the whole heart, perfectly intact, lying next to her. I presume the bullet had sucked it clean out of the exit.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by sh1kar View Post
    Betterrfiles I guess similar - my 140 grainers are doing around 3400-3500 fps
    That is one punchy bullet!! Home loading I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I shot a Roe Doe just after Christmas with a 280AI, 120 Barnes doing 3395 fps. Perfect shot, severed the blood vessels at the top of the heart. Tiny entry wound, 2" exit hole. As I approached her after the shot I was amazed to find the whole heart, perfectly intact, lying next to her. I presume the bullet had sucked it clean out of the exit.
    Yes i have had similar with lungs being sucked out. I just couldn't believe tho the perfect gralloch There was chest, diaphragm, liver then space, till then about 2 inches of anal tract I couldn't have done better myself!!

I just need to figure out how to get the aitch bone and anus out with the same shot......