Thread: Woodleigh Hydro bullets

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Woodleigh Hydro bullets

Go to my reply..mucked up the first post.
    Last edited by johngryphon; 05-02-2016 at 18:38.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Deer Dog Available
    I lifted this old post of mine from a few years old post on ar forums and as there is an "hydrostatic" shock post I thought it was enough to revisit.

Following pics are of a mature sambar stag`s ribcage showing in the 1st pic the entry of a.358 Norma Mag /225 Woodleigh Hydro 2nd pic the exit.

It didn't touch bone on exit, the dark patch to right of the hole is only dried blood/meat over the next rib.
    The stag was dead on his feet and didn't go very far at all especially considering that the bullet hardly touched any bone at all,only the slightest 1/2 size 358 chip on the entry rib.That chip is tiny btw.I doubt whether other bullets would have done what this did in killing this stag so quickly.I have never seen blood in a body cavity in such a quantity previously.
    All in all colossal performance for a pass through with out bone belting.

Note the dry old rib cage is a week old tomorrow and has been hanging in the dog yard as a smorgasbord since it was boned out the next day.

Heres the first pic showing entry on the left side,I had his shoulder in the hairs but he took a step downhill as I fired,he was actually snatching a gob full at the time.He is quite a large stag too and over the 600 pound mark.

I wasn't caping him hence the meat left on the skin,anyway that tiny little hole shows nothing from the outside but with the hide peeled back it certainly shows the immense bruising over a huge area and the insides were mulch too.Its almost as if a mini grenade has gone "boomf" inside.
    I reiterate that it was outstanding performance considering the shoulder bones were not smashed,these pics show that it was solely the projectile doing its job.I was impressed to buggery.
    If I had been using say my 250 Grain Norma Alaskans or Norma Oryx the deer would be dead too but nothing like how the Hydro worked on this stag.

Last pic shows the exit hole, there's no huge gaping wound to show externally though the blood trail left was a real hosing down.
    Sambar stags hit like this with other projectiles die as well of course though what often seems like bloody forever away,I have shot them with all sorts of pills over the years and nothing has ever worked in the manner that the Hydro`s have done.

Last edited by johngryphon; 05-02-2016 at 22:23.

সাম্বার হরিণ

the pictures on the woodleigh site are also very impressive on big and dangerous game

one passing through a buffalo skull, neck, chest and ended up in the left rear haunch if I recall!

would be interested to see the internal destruction if you ever get a chance
    their penetration is well documented but I would be keen to see how the hydraulic effect affects the wound channel

Hydrostatically Stabilised

The GS Custom bullets I'm using work in the same way. Small hole in, small hole out and mush inside. Very little meat damage, whether hitting bone or not.

John, are you able to get reasonably high velocity with these Woodleighs?
    Last edited by takbok; 06-02-2016 at 16:12.

Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    The GS Custom bullets I'm using work in the same way. Small hole in, small hole out and mush inside. Very little meat damage, whether hitting bone or not.

John, are you able to get reasonably high velocity with these Woodleighs?
    "the boys" handload for me and I have no idea of velocity and all I do know is the bullet weights and that they do a great job.
    The faster you drive them the better they work apparently.
    I only ask 'the boys' for middle of the road ammo instead of flat out ammo and so far all is well..very well as the above pics attest too.

Many of the live testing results are impressive and that I have heard first hand from the actual projectile maker.

সাম্বার হরিণ

What range was that?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle