Thread: Arthur Wright Sheffield Steel

Arthur Wright Sheffield Steel

Decided to treat myself today to a little handy knife for gutting rabbits and the like. I know you can damn near use a Stanley knife for gutting but I wanted something a bit better that I could look after and enjoy using.

I've gone through allsorts over the years from pen knives to leathermans and Moras but I think the A.Wright & Son skinning knife is probably the most handy knife I've had yet.

It's carbon steel, has a rosewood handle, not too big, looks like it will hold a good edge, seems decent quality and looks easy enough to sharpen. Should be perfect for small game.

Here's a link with the spec: Skinning Knife (Rose wood Handle) - Arthur Wright 870 Wood

And some pics:

Last edited by TriggerPull; 06-02-2016 at 18:41.

Nice little knife! Just mind your fingers with that bolster-less design and a wet / blood covered hand!!

I have switched to a Fallkniven PHK, as its a great size for gralloching and skinning (and has a bolster of sorts!), but also for breaking down the carcass. The 3g blade is like a razor even after a a few deer / sheep have been processed!

Quote Originally Posted by TringSaint View Post
    Nice little knife! Just mind your fingers with that bolster-less design and a wet / blood covered hand!!

I have switched to a Fallkniven PHK, as its a great size for gralloching and skinning (and has a bolster of sorts!), but also for breaking down the carcass. The 3g blade is like a razor even after a a few deer / sheep have been processed!
    Looks like a great knife but quite a bit out of my price range!

Quote Originally Posted by TringSaint View Post

I can confess to lusting after a PHK. Very nice!!

Go on...... Spoil yourselves.
    You know you want to.
    Justification is easy as it will last a lifetime, looks great and will hold its value.
    Also, buy it from the US and save a load of dosh (knife depot are cheapest I think)!!