.204 long range bunny load

Woodlander

Im buying a Sako 85 in .204 and while I'm waiting for the variation to be processed,thought I'd get some reloading advice from .204 owners on here. I'll be looking for an accurate round that has the legs to stretch out 450yds or farther if that's Possible.
Is 500yds a possibility with this round and what are the benefits,if any,of the 39gr over the 32gr or other lighter bullets.
Also,do you generally stick to the one bullet weight or do you work up a load for both a heavier and lighter bullet.
An other advice on loading and shooting this calibre,will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

39gr BK and 23.2gr of Reloder 10x is most effective at 400 yards. Can't see that it hasn't another 100 yards of potential. I run out of range at 400.

I don't know what qualifies as "legs" but we shoot our 20's (Tact, Pract, and 204R) at 450 on prairiedogs which are a darned sight smaller than I remember your rabbits to be. I shoot 40 grain VMax but my partners swear by 32 grainers.~Muir

Nice choice of rifle there, I have a heavy barrel t3 and I shoot 39g blitzking and 32g v max both loaded with h322 and both very accurate, I've used these out to 400 yards on set targets no problem but as with any calibre anything over 200 I find them tricky in the wind.

Great rifle. Very accurate and easy to load for with most powders. I use 39gr BK and find them devastating out to 300yards, not shot further than this but they knock foxes over easily so I'm sure there is plenty of knock down power left. Don't expect to eat the bunnies afterwards either as there is not much left!!

BE

I run out at 450 yards on a4" gong purchased from this forum,

this is using both the sako 20 tac thats for swaps and the new tikka 20 tac,

both use the same load,

23g rl10x under a 40 gr hornady vmax
23.5 rl10x under a smk 39gr...same result.

bob

I had been leaning towards the 32gr,just based on stuff I had read. I was hoping to be able to salvage some meat to feed the dog,luckily she's just a small thing,doesn't sound like there's much left of the carcass afterwards.
I have a supply of N130,for the .222,I believe this is a good powder for the .204 also?

I had been leaning towards the 32gr,just based on stuff I had read. I was hoping to be able to salvage some meat to feed the dog,luckily she's just a small thing,doesn't sound like there's much left of the carcass afterwards.
I have a supply of N130,for the .222,I believe this is a good powder for the .204 also?

130 certainly worth trying in your set up
I use 130 with 50 / 55 grain loads and 140 with the 39 sbk in my 20 tac
regards pete

n133

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Load 10414 in caliber .204 Ruger
[/FONT]​
LoadID10414
BulletHornady V-Max
BulletWeight33 grs
PowderVihtavuori N133
PowderWeight28 grs
PrimerCCI
Brass MakeHornady
Barrel Length26 (inches)
C.O.L2.32 (inches)
Velocity4025 fps
Group(inches by 3 shot at 100 yds)
Submitted Date6/22/2005 5:21:00 AM
Submitted ByJerry May
Gun Info Ruger No. 1 varmint stainless
Comment
Energy1185 ft-lbs
TKO4.25
OGW107 lbs
IPSC PF 132.82
Metric number format
Printer friendly version

spacer_white.gif
spacer_white.gif
spacer_white.gif
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Note:[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono] Measured velocity is at current barrel length.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Warning: Even this was a safe load in current weapon, ALWAYS start 5-10% lower and work yourself up to a safe max level in your weapon.
ReloadersNest and the author takes no responsibility for any result using these loads.

best of luck

bob.
[/FONT]

450+ is a pretty long poke but can be done with the .204. Though I don't shot a .204 (great cartridge though) I have shot a lot of .223 and 22-250 on prairie dogs and the 22-250 has very similar trajectories to the .204. I would definitely look to the heavier bullets with the higher BC as they start to show some real benefits over lighter offerings after 300 yards or so (especially when windy). In addition to variable winds, accurate ranging can be a challenge as the large open spaces don't have much to target with the range finder so it's nice to have a round with minimal recoil (like the 204) so you can keep your sight picture, call your own shots and make your adjustments.
best of luck!

I use n130 and 32g nosler bt for everything a chest shot rabbit usually leave the saddle and back legs for eating and guts it at the same time mine capable of heavier bullets but the 32s I find are cleaner on rabbit and just as effective on Charlie

Was running a 26" heavy barrel last year ok for sitting out no good if you need to walk. if it's speed you need stick with 26 if you don't mind dropping some fps 20" is fine. Ran 39gr SBK for years then went onto 32gr Vmax, don't see any difference with the end result apart from getting there quicker. Wind is the killer on the .204 so i want my bullet there as quick as poss.

as above

if your sat on your Rs with a bench/bonnet etc then 26"

on the other hand I run a sako in 20" and a tikka in 22".

both shoot the same 40gr bullet to the same target with the same result,

I am not a fan of running any load hot, I run a nice load that is deadly accurate for my needs, don't forget the mod it will add a load more to the end of the rifle than you think,

I am collecting a aimZonic 20 cal mod this weekend and that's for the NV set up on the tikka with the 22" barrel just for comfort and ease of use.

I wish you well.

bob.

Back