Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser M96 Straight Pull

Mauser M96 Straight Pull

Hi everyone,
    I bought one of these second hand in 6.5x55. Anyone had one of these? Any good? or rather anyone sell one recently in 6.5? I might have your gun. How does one clean the barrel ie remove the bolt?
    Cheers
    375Win

I think Brithunter had one of these until recently, might be worth PM'ing him..

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I bought one of these second hand in 6.5x55. Anyone had one of these? Any good? or rather anyone sell one recently in 6.5? I might have your gun. How does one clean the barrel ie remove the bolt?
    Cheers
    375Win
    On the pivot point of the bolt handle is an allen headed screw. It needs a 4mm allen key, they came with two keys one for the stock bolts and one for the bolt handle. Yours may still hvae the plastic cap over it if so carefuly lift it out then undo the allen bolt lift off the handle and the bolt will slide out.Please be careful not to de-cock the bolt out of the rifle as it's a bitch to re-cock.

I doubt you have mine as the guy I sold it to still has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    On the pivot point of the bolt handle is an allen headed screw. It needs a 4mm allen key, they came with two keys one for the stock bolts and one for the bolt handle. Yours may still hvae the plastic cap over it if so carefuly lift it out then undo the allen bolt lift off the handle and the bolt will slide out.Please be careful not to de-cock the bolt out of the rifle as it's a bitch to re-cock.

I doubt you have mine as the guy I sold it to still has it.
    Cheers Brithunter, will dig the rifle out of the cabinet this afternoon and give it a try. Looking on the web I found a pdf of the original instruction manual, which tells you not to remove the bolt for cleaning the barrel. One is to use a flexible cleaning rod -never seen one like the one they picture. Seeing that it seems a lot of grief to remove the bolt, I'll do my regular cleaning with a boresnake.

For those that have a Mauser, look here for the instruction manual if you need one
    http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Manuals.381.0.html?&L=1

Also new to me was that for all sporting rifles produced prior to 1999 the spares can/should be ordered through a comapny called Gustav Jehn. I suppose that when that part of Mauser got sold to Sig Arms the new owners were reluctant to fork out for a warehouse full of spares.

Brithunter, the rifle that you sold, any chance of telling me what fodder it liked best. Factory ammo or a recipe of your own devising?

Cheers
    375Win

If you look at the photos of mine you will see I left the little plastic cap out, put in a plastic bag safe in the drawer, and cleaned as normal just undid the 4mm allen screw and took bolt out. I do not use or own any boresnakes.

Mine liked the 140 grain bullets over the 120's but shot the 120's OK it didn't like the 100 grain BT's I used IMR 4350 powder or Reloader 19 I never had any factory ammo with this rifle so cannot help there. The booklet which came with it was not very helpful I recall. For one thing it says the magazine platform has twin coil springs on it yet mine had the normal Mauser Zee spring and the mag held five rounds not the four claimed.

Brithunter, thanks for all the advice so far.
    I've ordered some dies and to pass the time til they arrive bought 3 boxes of Hornady 140g ammo. One of the local shops wanted 55 for a box of Norma. All this is not much use as the rifle I bought came without scope and mounts. Looking at mounts at the moment. Any suggestions anyone? Cheers 375Win

The mounts are std any that will will the Rem 700 will fit the Mauser Slide Bolt. Cheapest set up would be Weaver bases and rings.

It depends on what you want in mounts and what scope your fitting. If you want them fixed of Q/D mounts? Hmmmm the news ones I saw came with mounts altough mine didn't.

Sorry cannot be more help until we know what scope your fitting and the sort of mount types you want to use.

Not really bothered about QD mounts, have a set of Apel QDs on my 375H&H and as it happens I've never taken the Zeiss 1-4x scope off since I bought the rifle 6 years ago. I am looking to fit either an 8x56 Kahles or a Nikon Monarch 3-9x42 on the rifle. The easiest, safest way would be to spend and get another set of Apel mounts. I've got 2 rifles with EAW mounts and they are excellent. In these finacially challenging times, I am wodering whether there is an option I might have missed, which is not quite that pricey. Seems to me that you get either the megabucks Rolls Rocye type mounts or the cheap and nasty variety. As I said, any help is greatly appreciated.

Warne, IMO a really good mounting system. Though I wont be using them on my new Tikka About 60 I think. I have never come across anyone who has had a problem with them.

San
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore