Best Deer Area In England

Rutland lad

Gents/Ladies - a hypothetical question, but one which may have some bearing on my thinking in the future.

If (and that's a big if) you could live anywhere in the UK (not Scotland - too political at the moment) and you liked your deer stalking, where would you choose to live ?

Norfolk ? Somerset (Exmoor I'm thinking) ?, Devon ?, Cumbria ? Suffolk ?

Where would you choose to settle - hoping you'd be able to either buy a days stalking now and then, or get into a syndicate.

I'm originally from the NE, and don't see too many deer around the N Yorks/Durham borders when I'm about there. I've lived on the SE corner of London and used to see deer around the Kent/Surrey/Sussex lanes, and I'm now on the Northants/Rutland/Lincs/Cambs borders and see and shoot deer regularly around here.

The future could see a house move for me to wherever I fancy in England or Wales - where do you think is the best deer area ? I look forward to your replies with interest.

Walking Holiday in Dorset last year and amazed at the deer I saw.
Sika whistling at me behind every bush almost and Roe a plenty.

Makes my shooting grounds look very bleak and barren.

Most important is not so much where you live but having access to the actual shooting
otherwise it can get frustrating..

Wiltshire/Hampshire for Munti and Roe, some fallow about and a few Red but Dorset for Sika Roe Munti. Depends if you want a particular species or the best place for more species. South East for Fallow but safety is a bu**er on flat land. Cheers Jerry

Walking Holiday in Dorset last year and amazed at the deer I saw.
Sika whistling at me behind every bush almost and Roe a plenty.

Makes my shooting grounds look very bleak and barren.

Most important is not so much where you live but having access to the actual shooting
otherwise it can get frustrating..

The last paragraph hits the nail on the head, so instead of paying highly inflated prices south of the gap find somewhere cheap to buy then stick the other 200k into getting some good paid stalking

Back