Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet seating help

Bullet seating help

Seem to be having trouble bullet seating.

i have ale single stage press. And some,eddies.
    the lee bulletseater is adjustable, however,i seem to be struggling to getting consistent seating depths.

Looking at bullet seating alternatives and after some advice.

i a either considering changing entirely to le Wilson set up, as I like the compact and portability side of things.

or a redding competition bullet seating die.

my question is about the competition seating dies, with micrometer adjustment.
    my question is, when you change die to the seating die, do you have to re adjust seating depth every time? Or does it hold it's seating depth after the change?

i have quick release bushings with lock rings.

By how much does you cartridge length vary? Are you sure it's not just bullet tip variations that are giving you different lengths (ie lead tips are slightly deformed). A micrometer seating die won't help any more than an ordinary seating die with consistency.

What bullets are you using?

Enough variation to be annoying.
    it's measured to ogive, so not tip variations.
    all sorts of heads used...same difference.

i am sure it's the die that's the issue (hence why looking to upgrade) as the adjustment on the lee die has too much slack in it.

the micrometer is to help adjustments more accurately....I'm not expecting the fact it is micrometer to improve things....I am expecting the mic to help me accurately set depths by measurement and the quality if the die to Achebe consistency.
    Last edited by scubadog; 07-02-2016 at 23:37.

Unless your measureing your cartridges with a gauge that measures from the ogive then you will get varying results. Accuracy is most important.

Wow, thanks for your help guys....really useful comments.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    my question is about the competition seating dies, with micrometer adjustment.
    my question is, when you change die to the seating die, do you have to re adjust seating depth every time? Or does it hold it's seating depth after the change?

i have quick release bushings with lock rings.
    Scuba, once the micrometer is set you should get the same seating depth every time but as the lads have said this can vary unless you are measuring to the ogive as the coal will depend on the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    Scuba, once the micrometer is set you should get the same seating depth every time but as the lads have said this can vary unless you are measuring to the ogive as the coal will depend on the tip

Thanks.
    i am measuring to the ogive.
    so can you change the die, to the resizing one say the change back to the seating die and not have to gaff about setting up seating depths again?

Thanks.
    i am measuring to the ogive.
    so can you change the die, to the resizing one say the change back to the seating die and not have to gaff about setting up seating depths again?
    Not easily really and especially if your trying to get it exactly the same each time you measure. Personally I think your chasing your tail.

Enough variation to be annoying.
    it's measured too give, so not tip variations.
    all sorts of heads used...same difference.

i am sure it's the die that's the issue (hence why looking to upgrade) as the adjustment on the lee die has too much slack in it.

the micrometer is to help adjustments more accurately....I'm not expecting the fact it is micrometer to improve things....I am expecting the mic to help me accurately set depths by measurement and the quality if the die to Achebe consistency.
    If you are using a lee bullet seating die you are pushing the bullet from a point just behind the tip. That is the point that will be consistent in length. Presumably there is variation in your bullet profile which is causing the variation of length when you measure to the ogive. So presumably all bullet seating dies will be much the same...unless there was one which pushed on the ogive.

I sorted my bullets into three O/A lengths in order to reduce the COAL variation. Most of which seemed to be the depth the polymer tip was set...this is with Barnes TTSX, there was about a 6 thou difference in their length. By putting them in batches the COAL ended up within 3 thou which seems to be better than what the factory rounds achieve.

Alan

P.S. Your other query about resetting the die for every batch, I only use the lee one and not competition ones. I have a dummy round which I use to rough set up the seating die each time. Then measure and tweak the first couple in the batch to get to the COAL I want. But then I am a beginner reloader, just using the tool set up first principles from my metalworking experience.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 08-02-2016 at 00:56. Reason: from/form