Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casserole recipes

Casserole recipes

Looking to use a slow cooker for the first time.

Can anyone recommend a good recipe along with timings?

Regards

Carl.

Carl,

I put the following in the slow cooker:
    Couple of diced pheasant and partridge breasts (or any game meat from the freezer once defrosted).
    Button mushrooms
    Onions
    Add enough red wine to cover the contents
    Good splash of Worcestershire sauce
    Large spoon of honey
    Couple of oxo cubes
    Salt & black pepper

I put the cooker on low before going out and leave for around 8 hours. On returning the contents will be cooked with a lot of liquid. Add a large cup of uncooked rice then turn the cooker up to high for another hour. The result is that the rice soaks up the extra liquid and makes a nice risotto.

There are lots of things you can cook in the slow cooker, enjoy your journey of discovery.

ATB 243 Stalker.

nearly same no wine or oxos replace the rice for a good handful of barley any veg stock cubes or chicken stock any herbs you choose,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    Carl,

I put the following in the slow cooker:
    Couple of diced pheasant and partridge breasts (or any game meat from the freezer once defrosted).
    Button mushrooms
    Onions
    Add enough red wine to cover the contents
    Good splash of Worcestershire sauce
    Large spoon of honey
    Couple of oxo cubes
    Salt & black pepper

I put the cooker on low before going out and leave for around 8 hours. On returning the contents will be cooked with a lot of liquid. Add a large cup of uncooked rice then turn the cooker up to high for another hour. The result is that the rice soaks up the extra liquid and makes a nice risotto.

There are lots of things you can cook in the slow cooker, enjoy your journey of discovery.

ATB 243 Stalker.
    Going to give this a go minus the mushrooms !

Smile Venison Caserole

I am sure this would be fine in a slow cooker.

Tastes bloody awesome .

Hopefully I have managed to attach it corerectly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Venison Caserole Recipe.png  

Wish I could remember where I saw this tip so I could give full credit but anyway

The tip is to only use the holy trinity (onions carrots and celery) plus any herbs plus plain water to casserole your venison in initially so that it stays moist rather than anything acidic such as wine or salty such as stock cubes or bacon which all help to dry it out.

Once tender you can go to town with adding bacon, wine, flavourings and seasoning's plus the rice, barley etc. for the final cooking time.

Please note I have not tried this yet but see no reason why it should not work

Not strictly a casserole, cos it has a pastry id, but it starts off as one!bits from the back/bottom of the freezer. (game pie))

Also works in a slow cooker, defrosted meat/s go into slow cooker at bedtime, five to six hours later make sure all is well cooked thru.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 09-02-2016 at 16:04.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by DevonStalking View Post
    Going to give this a go minus the mushrooms !
    Whats wrong with mushrooms ! your not a real Hunter if your fussy about eating the fruits of the Forrest !
    I have a whisky , and mushroom sauce recipe that would change your mind on that and leave you on your knees scouring the woodland floor for fungi
    Whatever stew you choose to cook, make sure you incorporate a few dumplings as they are cheap and easy to make, are extremely lovely , and are very good for you if you have An active lifestyle where you burn thousands of calories a day.

Kindest regards, Olaf

Olaf,

Any chance of you posting your whisky & mushroom sauce recipe, I would very much like to give it a try.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    Olaf,

Any chance of you posting your whisky & mushroom sauce recipe, I would very much like to give it a try.

ATB 243 Stalker.
    gladly. I will write it out and post it later today !

Cheers, Olaf