49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bore snake

11 22.45%
  • Cleaning rod

38 77.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bore snake Vs cleaning rod

Bore snake Vs cleaning rod

One I've been reading about this evening and wanted to see if more people had an opinion on this.

Firsty, I've only ever used a bore snake on every rifle I've had, never had any issues and the barrel always looks perfectly clean after a couple of pulls through - I normally apply a few drops of cleaning oil to the first part of the bore snake so as it gets pulled through it gets oiled but then any excess is removed by the rest of it after the brush. Also I have washed them a couple of times, although a bore snake has quite a large surface area compared to a cleaning rag so surely it could be used a fair amount before it became inefficient? Most threads I've read seem to say a bore snake should only be used when you haven't got access to a proper cleaning rod but what difference is there?

Cheers,
    Jim

my worry with a bore snake is that if it happened to break in the barrel it would be near impossible to remove.
    Keep one in field kit for emergency clean but that's all

Won't use a boresnake, as above if it breaks/ gets stuck it's very very difficult to remove. How many rifle smiths recommend them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Won't use a boresnake, as above if it breaks/ gets stuck it's very very difficult to remove. How many rifle smiths recommend them?
    I did think about this actually, my one has a loop at the end which I've tied a piece of paracord to so I could pull it out backwards if it got stuck.

Good idea, still wouldn't use one. On the PRS website they recommend using a cleaning rod, good enough for them it's good enough for me

You forgot a third option on the poll not cleaning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slider View Post
    my worry with a bore snake is that if it happened to break in the barrel it would be near impossible to remove.
    Keep one in field kit for emergency clean but that's all
    It's ok if you have a cleaning rod to poke it out with

I use both a snake and a rod, depending on situation, location and 'can I be @rsed' factor.

Mark
    Last edited by markyw; 08-02-2016 at 22:02. Reason: More info

I've used all sorts of cleaning products, but I am now a total convert to C2R. No more scrubbing, just a little waiting, and a really thorough result.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I've used all sorts of cleaning products, but I am now a total convert to C2R. No more scrubbing, just a little waiting, and a really thorough result.
    Have you compared it with the Tactical Advantage and Accelerator versions of Wipe Out?

I seem to remember reading the initial trials showed C2R about the same or slightly better for copper than the original Wipe Out.

Alan

ps use both bore snake and rod depending on circumstances.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 08-02-2016 at 22:13.

When I'm away for a few days stalking, I take a bore snake and use that , otherwise I use a rod, with a shotgun I mostly use a bore snake, however I always buy the genuine hoppes bore snakes and not the cheaper no name ones .