Options for a muzzle mounted (not over barrel) moderator?

Conure

Will need a moderator but as rifle will have iron sights it has to be a muzzle mounted on and not an over barrel one and as it is for mainly range use what are the options?

So far they seem few and far between.

I have a Dpt moderator threaded 15x1 spigot for my Blaser .308 which is over the barrel but by changing the threaded piece to a 14x1 I can also use it forward mounted on my Maral 30-06.
I also have a 6mm moderator with an over barrel 15x1 spigot for my .243 and another 1/2"x 20 threaded over barrel section for my .222 using the same moderator.
Dpt moderators are cheap enough to get the extra sections without breaking the bank.

I would be careful with aluminium mods as they can gas cut and wear out pretty quick with range use. I have an ASE utra SL5 which I use for stalking and at the range. Its muzzle mounted but very short, its fully stainless steel, weighs 390g and moderates very effectively.

Thank you for the offer but I refuse to go to Stoneleigh again not after the shambles of last years Triumph/MG spares day.

I have a Dpt moderator threaded 15x1 spigot for my Blaser .308 which is over the barrel but by changing the threaded piece to a 14x1 I can also use it forward mounted on my Maral 30-06.
I also have a 6mm moderator with an over barrel 15x1 spigot for my .243 and another 1/2"x 20 threaded over barrel section for my .222 using the same moderator.
Dpt moderators are cheap enough to get the extra sections without breaking the bank.

How does that work on your FAC? Have just ordered a DPT and if its as good as expected I would like to do the same as you have for all my rifles.....

How does that work on your FAC? Have just ordered a DPT and if its as good as expected I would like to do the same as you have for all my rifles.....

You just have a 'Full bore moderator' slot/s on your FAC. Then you can chop and change at will. Probably haven't explained it very well.

Last edited:
One slot per variant? How do you get the extra baffles or threaded sections?

They're just parts that you buy for your mod. Shouldn't need a cert for replacement moderator parts.

No, I think you can just have the one full bore mod for all your rifles.

Thank you all for the help and am looking into the various moderators mentioned and suggested. Am surprised that there really no modular muzzle cans as it wold seem to me that it is not the whole moderator that would wear and suffer from gas cutting so a moderator that could have the bit that suffers renewed would be the answer.

So for now will look into this some more but until we get an answer about the rifle then the moderator is on the back burner.

I would be careful with aluminium mods as they can gas cut and wear out pretty quick with range use. I have an ASE utra SL5 which I use for stalking and at the range. Its muzzle mounted but very short, its fully stainless steel, weighs 390g and moderates very effectively.
for the dpt you can get a stainless baffle which you can put in for range work or you win mags.

I am using an ASE Ultra SL5. As already mentioned it is steel and very short. I used it for the first time outside on Friday and was surprised at how quiet the report was. I seems more durable than the Reflex T8 I was considering.

I am using an ASE Ultra SL5. As already mentioned it is steel and very short. I used it for the first time outside on Friday and was surprised at how quiet the report was. I seems more durable than the Reflex T8 I was considering.

Will have a look at those when I get the chance as that sounds like it might just be ideal as it will be used on the range mostly.

+1 for the sl5 but for range work it does heat up very quickly so well-spaced shots are the order of the day,. or simply remove it (why would you want a moderator fitted for range work when ear defenders are so much more efficient?).
HTH

Back