Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Fibre to Dogs food

Adding Fibre to Dogs food

My dog (3 1/2 year old cocker bitch) is wheat intolerant and is on a (dry) salmon & potato food which she loves, gives her loads of energy and her coat looks great but I have to add fibre because she has had trouble with her anal glands.

The fibre I have been using is Pro Fibre

Protexin Pro-Fibre for Dogs 500 g: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

which definitely helps but I would like know if there is a source of wet (non wheat) fibre that I can add to her food so she is not just eating 100% dry food.

I have thought about mixing the dry food 50 / 50 with a frozen salmon food like this

Alaska Dog Salmon - 0.8kg

plus the Pro Fibre - but that seems a bit of a faff?

Alternatively do I just add water to the existing food + Pro Fibre mix?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Rice cooked in meat stock made from bones or normal rice then add cheap mince beef or bruised bloody venison Have you tried the barf diet seems to sort most diet issues
    Jake

have you tried just raw meaty bones added? Mine is on Akela dry mix and has bones daily. Dry crumbly poo that that keeps the glands clear.

I would stay clear of rice, not ideal for carnivorors. Regular fresh bones will firm the stools as nun hunter said.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try some raw meaty bones.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

And also give her the raw carrots and broccoli stems - all helps.

If her stools are firm, that shoud be all that is needed to allow the glands to empty normally. Classisc thiking was to make the stools firmer (or bigger with fibre) to aid emptying

While anal glands can cause problems, if her symptoms are the classic scooting, then it could be just just has an itchy backside and paying closer attention to flea control will produce better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Many thanks for the replies.

I'll try some raw meaty bones.
    If you're concerned about giving her proper bones, I give my pair duck necks (meat still on) a few times a week. Soft bone they can easily chew and comes out the following day in a nice firm compact stool.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Too bulk up food without causing weight gain my vet years ago suggested dried flaked maize which I used, all through my 3 working springers lives, quite successfully. I bought it in large sacks very cheaply from my local farmers merchants. Worth considering? Cheers Jerry

Raw chicken carcass ( mostly de fleshed) or the boxes of chicken wings from supermarket as the bone to meat ratio is good