Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rifle slip for hill stalking

rifle slip for hill stalking

Looking for recommendations for well built rifle slip that will be comfortable carrying on the Hill also giving protection from the elements and a knock...cheers.
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

Brady canvas slip

I suggest it needs to have 4 qualities;- to be silent especially with a quiet zip, it must be waterproof, the zip should open the full length of the rifle, and it should have an extra pocket on the side for extra ammo or a pull through. Also the internal padding should not hold the water or at least be easily dried, it does get awful wet on the hill at times. Hope these thoughts are helpful. I always go to the 'Sportsman' site first. Send them your requirements and see what they suggest. Cheers Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    I suggest it needs to have 4 qualities;- to be silent especially with a quiet zip, it must be waterproof, the zip should open the full length of the rifle, and it should have an extra pocket on the side for extra ammo or a pull through. Also the internal padding should not hold the water or at least be easily dried, it does get awful wet on the hill at times. Hope these thoughts are helpful. I always go to the 'Sportsman' site first. Send them your requirements and see what they suggest. Cheers Jerry
    May i also add that i would like it to fit both shoulders if possible ...i have army issue drag bags etc, but i would like a more traditional style for the rifle that will be used..so something i can carry all day but not notice it instead of pulling on ones shoulder
    and still growing.....

Contact Phil Ogden, he was showing me a new one he's making at the moment, just for stalkers,

fully waterproof ,. Silent and waterproof zips etc, pockets for mod etc etc, double adjustable straps including length and width

i think monarch shooting supplies do his stuff ??? It's the dogs danglies ,

he makes stuff for stalkers , shooters and fishermen and builds to there specific requirements,

you wont be disapointed

kjf

Have seen a German made slip in loden wraps around rifle and held by a strong magnet allows the rifles sling to be used for carrying ,idea! for hill stalking can be removed very quickly ,its light weight but provides adequate protection for the rifle.

Bushwear supplied a similar style slip at one but has since been discontinued, so not sure where you would get one now.

The op spoke of a slip that would fit both shoulders and these are available though not to everyone's taste, if you are taking stalking on an estate its the estate stalker who will be carrying your rifle.

I had a big drag bag and had it altered to fit my rifle, it has twin shoulder straps which I had raised up so the rifle doesn't stick over the top of your head these can be altered to make it like a conventional sling , it also has two pockets one of which is 3/4 length which holds my waterproof leggings and the other holds spare bullets a bottle of water, sandwich and bipod if not fitted, I didn't like the traditional sling as it pulled on my shoulder also when you start to crawl you had to take it of whereas I don't with this one, I also had a flap made to cover my scope so the zip didn't mark it. it cost me £50 to have altered it dries fairly quick and doesn't weigh a lot .

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Have seen a German made slip in loden wraps around rifle and held by a strong magnet allows the rifles sling to be used for carrying ,idea! for hill stalking can be removed very quickly ,its light weight but provides adequate protection for the rifle.

Bushwear supplied a similar style slip at one but has since been discontinued, so not sure where you would get one now.

The op spoke of a slip that would fit both shoulders and these are available though not to everyone's taste, if you are taking stalking on an estate its the estate stalker who will be carrying your rifle.

Yes, I have a couple of these that I've ordered from Germany (one lightweight one & one heavyweight one) & they're fantastic for quiet woodland stalking & very quick to get a rifle out of. The 2 main drawbacks for you would be that they wouldn't be made for a moderated rifle & whilst they would protect from a shower they wouldn't really be suitable for a wild day in the hills. A very good fair-weather option though.

Heavier protection (for the car etc.)

Blitz-Gewehrfutteral - Loden/Leder | JagdFIEBER.com

Lighter protection (rolls up to a very small package; note the handle for crawling)

Blitz-Gewehrfutteral - Militär-Loden - MADE IN SWEDEN | JagdFIEBER.com

I'd probably be tempted by one of the rucksack rifle-carrying packs but if you end up getting a simple conventional slip put one of the Niggloh rucksack slings on it as they make it a very comfortable experience when worn across-body (head between straps).
    Last edited by McKenzie; 09-02-2016 at 17:30.

bogtrotter,
    I go regularly to Scotland and the the estate stalker will ask if you want him to carry your rifle but I tend to carry my own and also drag my own beast as I find it adds to the whole experience but I do appreciate that its not for everyone

http://www.ogdensshootingsupplies.co...ckslip-gunslip

I like the look of this..anyone had hands on ?
    and still growing.....