Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling in crows

Calling in crows

When I was a boy, we had a lot of crows on the farm, and I learned a lot of stalking and observation skills by stalking them close enough ( inside 100 yards ) for a kill with my .22 LR. We also would set up decoys we had carved or molded in paper mache', or a dead crow, and then call the crows in for some shotgunning. I was always surprised at how many would come to the call of an injured crow, even keep coming as we shot more from the sky.

Is any calling ( with mouth calls ) done in the UK?

Think its illegal over hear to use an artificial caller for birds,have heard that it works very well though for photographing but illegal to shoot them.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Think its illegal over hear to use an artificial caller for birds,have heard that it works very well though for photographing but illegal to shoot them.....
    I thought that just applied to electronic ones?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    That's what I thought.

Better tell the people that make all the duck and goose calls then!!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Technically it states "any recording" so a synthesised electronic call would be OK. Obviously this law came about before such devices were common place so may be a bit of a grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Technically it states "any recording" so a synthesised electronic call would be OK. Obviously this law came about before such devices were common place so may be a bit of a grey area.
    So my camera film pot with a few air rifle pellets in is still legal for magpies, phew. Lol

Are you saying no mouth blown calls, or just no electronic recordings and players?

Most states in the US, it is unlawful to use electronic callers for anything but predators, like coyotes. Some states, like Texas, permitted electronic callers for crows, but I think no longer. Other states, which permitted no electronic calls at all, have now permitted them for coyotes, but if a fox or comes in, you cannot shoot them.

I have used mouth calls for crows, ducks and geese, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, feral dogs, and even bears.

Decoys: I know you have them for pigeons, because I have studied the UK magazines and carved my own pigeon decoys around what I see there. How about crows decoys in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Decoys: I know you have them for pigeons, because I have studied the UK magazines and carved my own pigeon decoys around what I see there. How about crows decoys in the UK?
    Amazon.co.uk: crow decoy

I meant artificial ie electronic automated not manually blown they are OK.