Thread: Disfigured buck

Disfigured buck

I went out last night for a look around, not really looking for a deer but just one of those nice summer evenings when the urge gets you out of the house for some peace and quiet.
    I was just making my way to the high seat when I noticed a pair of ears sticking up from the grass, I had a look and it was a small buck, through the binoculars I could also see that just beyond him was another buck but there was something strange about his antlers. I decided to have a stalk onto the second one but had to get past the younger one first. I was one side of a slope in the field and they were on the other side, so it was stealth mode time. At the start of this stalk I was only about 45 yards from the first one and maybe 70 from his buddy. I didn't really have much option because of the topography but to stalk up to the first buck and try and get a look at the second from nearer him, this was going to be very difficult but due to the strange antlers needed to be done. I got to within a few yards and he saw me moving, stood up and barked, did a semi circle around me and never took his eyes from me. I could have shot him dozens of times but always in my mind was this other buck, it was more important that I got on this one. Now that the first juvenile buck had seen me I was stuck in no mans land, I made a concious decision to try and move the first buck on, so when he came up to me (within 15 feet) I sat up from my prone position and he ran to the other buck, round him and stood there barking at me, the other buck stood up and started walking towards the woods, it was then I noticed that he had a severe limp. He presented himself to me and I ended his suffering there and then. The young buck kept running backwards and forwards to him, not wanting to leave him, I waited a good 5 or 6 minutes and walked in the opposite direction to retrieve my sticks and he was still there, eventually a couple of minutes later he got the message and headed for the cover of the woods.
    As to the culled buck one of his rear legs had a good 6 or 7 inches missing from it and whilst it had healed very well his haunch muscle on that side was very light weight due to not getting used, his antler looked as if it had been broken so I can only assume that he may have been involved with an vehicle.
    photo's taken on the camera phone so not very good! sorry.
    As I found him.

Head

No wonder he was limping!

looks like a good call from you first spotted him. Came across a doe last year with the same sort of leg injury, also well healed but with the hoof on the opposite front leg deformed from where she had been walking on it so long, I guess.

Great write up and well done for sticking to the plan and getting onto the target buck!

I suppose the antler abnormality is consistent with a significant skeletal wound this season, but with the muscle wastage do you think the injury is older than this season?

Alex

Hard to say when the injury happened Alex, but it was well healed. I did presume (rightly or wrongly) that the broken antler and the leg wound may have happened in the same incident. But like a lot of things that is just guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Great write up and well done for sticking to the plan and getting onto the target buck!

I suppose the antler abnormality is consistent with a significant skeletal wound this season, but with the muscle wastage do you think the injury is older than this season?

Alex
    Hi mate,

Its quite common to shoot a known Muntjac that have been clipped by a car and see a broken lower leg bone affect muscle condition a relatively short period of time. I always assume that like us humans (and seeing mates in leg casts when we were younger) that their 'cast' limb would loose all condition in six weeks, with an animal that would cease to use said limb - condition is lost rapidly??

Just my thought -

T