Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard rifle case

Hard rifle case

I'm in the market for a hard rifle case. I want something nice and was thinking a Peli 1770 until I saw the price.
    Has anybody got any suggestions for a quality case that doesn't cost as much as a cheap rifle?

Pelis are too big and too over engineered for use as a rifle case in almost any practical stalking situation, I use them a lot for other things and they are great in the right place but for practical use as a rifle case they are not so great at all.

Go and take a look at flight cases such as are used by musicians. Musicians are often shipping items much more delicate than your rifle across the world for months or years on end plus a good flight case will be less bulky and less weighty than a Peli.

A local music shop might have some and there will almost certainly be someone local who can build you a custom one to your own spec and requirements. For example Easyjet give you an extra 12kg of baggage if flying with a rifle so I got a friend to build me a flight case for my Blaser and with rifle, bipod, sling, scope and bolt plus the case it comes in just under the 12kg which was how we designed it. In saying that an "off the shelf" flight case will probably suit your needs and they are available in many shapes and sizes, clearly off the shelf is much less expensive than going with a custom built solution.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Peli's are the dog's danglies for trips by air or sea, If you are not bothered about cosmetic appearances, get something off e blag, some good useful stuff on there. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Pelican is very heavy. I have one for handguns, and a heavy Plano with wheels because I bought it way cheap and have some use for it, but prefer the much lighter weight SKB cases. The Single Scoped Rifle case is sturdy, very protective, comes with several choices of locks, and weighs less than most rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Pelis are too big and too over engineered for use as a rifle case in almost any practical stalking situation, I use them a lot for other things and they are great in the right place but for practical use as a rifle case they are not so great at all.

Go and take a look at flight cases such as are used by musicians. Musicians are often shipping items much more delicate than your rifle across the world for months or years on end plus a good flight case will be less bulky and less weighty than a Peli.

A local music shop might have some and there will almost certainly be someone local who can build you a custom one to your own spec and requirements. For example Easyjet give you an extra 12kg of baggage if flying with a rifle so I got a friend to build me a flight case for my Blaser and with rifle, bipod, sling, scope and bolt plus the case it comes in just under the 12kg which was how we designed it. In saying that an "off the shelf" flight case will probably suit your needs and they are available in many shapes and sizes, clearly off the shelf is much less expensive than going with a custom built solution.

I have to disagree with you there. My rifle/rifles are housed in Peli cases whenever away from home. It is the only case I have found that keeps my rifle/scope/bins safe in any environment. Fortunately the case fits very easily in my car.

Prior to using Peli cases I tried various flight cases, one of which was the same cost as a Peli and it didn't survive a flight.

Regards

I originally looked at Peli and was put off by the price, I settled for two of these excellent value and do the job perfectly well. They also do two other slightly smaller sizes.

Flambeau Double Gun Case | Uttings.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Pelican is very heavy. I have one for handguns, and a heavy Plano with wheels because I bought it way cheap and have some use for it, but prefer the much lighter weight SKB cases. The Single Scoped Rifle case is sturdy, very protective, comes with several choices of locks, and weighs less than most rifles.
    I looked at both SKB, and the Peli Storm, and size for size, the weights were nigh on identical.

When flying, I use the Peli Storm 3100, and can fit both my Chapuis SxS, and my Merkel Helix, or one of them, and a load of other stuff. A friend bought the Peli Storm 2700, and has fitted it out in layers, to take a Merkel Helix, extra barrel, magazines, scope, etc'.

Case, foam, rifle, scope weigh circa 12 kg, which is more than manageable, especially as it has wheels, and I know the rifles are safe, which to me, is more important than the weight, or the extra cost, over the cheaper alternatives.

Case before I swapped the Browning Maral for the Merkel Helix.

This isn't as classy as the SKB but I have a lot of money tied up in it and it's transportation usually involves the back of a pick up truck and rutted, bumpy dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. The Pelican's are pretty much bullet proof with regard to this kind of abuse and my rifle gets to it's destination still holding its zero.~Muir

I was looking for a new and relyable hardcase too....
    A good friend of mine mentioned the Peli and showed it tome, a great kit, heavy duty for sure.
    Occassionally I stumbled over this one # Waffenkoffer Gewehrkoffer Munitionskoffer Pistolenkoffer Hartschalenkoffer | eBay
    it looks very much like the Peli, costs by far less and is in my eyes the same heavy duty standard!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

As mentioned in previous threads I have a couple of the Peli cases that anyone is welcome to borrow for a trip as I consider them to be indestructible. UK to US seems to be the most requested route for them!