Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaser R8 pro success 308

Blaser R8 pro success 308

Dark side looming very soon in 308, options are a Pro Success Swaro package with either a 20.5" or 23" So what's the difference trajectory and recoil wise?

No negative Blaser comments please as I already have Sako's and a 595 custom with border barrel so I know what else is on offer for same money. I Just love the R8 stock and handling.

Thanks
    DS

I had an R93 with a 18.5 inch barrel in .308W. I ordered an R8 with the 20.5 barrel but there was a glitch and I ended up with the 22" in order not to wait for a couple of months back order.

It is not as well balanced as the R93 was, but neither are used free standing so it doesn't really obtain. There is a about a 150 foot per second advantage with the longer barrel. The range I use them on is never more than 200 metres so it makes little difference to the trajectory.

I kept the Lawrence Precision moderator (Nexus) from the R93 but had it uprated with a few more baffles while waiting for the R8. I did not notice any change in recoil at all. I didn't find the recoil a problem with R93 and I don't find the R8 any different from that point of view.

If you are over this way you could do worse than book a session with Paul Hill at the Corinium Range. You would be able to try the various options for real.

I quite agree with your reasoning, the thumbhole stock comes to hand very nicely.

Alan

I have used a Blaser several times and although I don't own one, I am a fan of the design.

These words are taken from page 23 of the Blaser R8 brochure -

"The unique design of the R8 magazine above the trigger allows the overall length of the R8 to be significantly shorter than any conventional bolt action rifle"

With this in mind, I would personally go for the longer barrel and make use of the extra velocity it provides whilst still keeping a relatively compact overall length. I would then use a quality lightweight moderator on it.
    Last edited by paultap; 10-02-2016 at 00:05.

I have a 22 3/4" .308 R8 standard weight barrel going spare if youre interested. Only fired 77 shots from new. 525 delivered. Pm me if you would like more info

I intend to make the change/upgrade from the r93 to R8. I like the idea of the thumbhole one but was just wondering if this would be an inconvenience in anyway when you consider quick reloading for driven hunts, as opposed to the conventional stock?

I think that's generally considered to be the main weakness of the thumbhole. So if you hunt driven game a lot, it might become an irritation. I don't, so it isn't for me - I wouldn't choose anything else now.

the thumbhole takes slightly longer to cock, but is better to cycle, especially if you have an extended bolt handle fitted. I can cycle mine without removing my thumb from the stock. when on a driven hunt, some stand with the rifle cocked ready to fire and just employ good trigger discipline and muzzle awareness. I carry an extra mag when looking to shoot numbers, that's 1 up the spout, 4 in the mag and another 4 in the spare mag. I think the thumbholes point ability and control outweighs the small additional time it takes to cock. the only situation where the standard stock is better is shooting from a vehicle where you may have to use a "less than ideal" grip and position.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I intend to make the change/upgrade from the r93 to R8. I like the idea of the thumbhole one but was just wondering if this would be an inconvenience in anyway when you consider quick reloading for driven hunts, as opposed to the conventional stock?
    The speed of reloading was never of any importance for me, it was all the other considerations in the design. There are some videos showing quick cycling using fingers leaving the thumb in the hole.

I noticed on the video by Blaser America that the demonstrator in his hurry managed to place his thumb over the top of the stock rather than through the thumb hole when he took the shot. I daresay that it was all new to him as well, but am surprised they didn't edit that bit out.

I refer you to my earlier response regarding trying one at the Corinium Range. There is a running boar set up there.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    I have used a Blaser several times and although I don't own one, I am a fan of the design.

These words are taken from page 23 of the Blaser R8 brochure -

"The unique design of the R8 magazine above the trigger allows the overall length of the R8 to be significantly shorter than any conventional bolt action rifle"

With this in mind, I would personally go for the longer barrel and make use of the extra velocity it provides whilst still keeping a relatively compact overall length. I would then use a quality lightweight moderator on it.
    I seem to remember examing a Mauser 66 in a gunshop years ago. High grade wood barley twist barrel and of course the magazine is above the trigger and it uses a telescoping bolt. So Blaser are hardly the first to do so. As Blaser acquired the Mauser name I have to wonder if this is where they got the idea from the old mauser 66?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    I am investigating the options of an R8 with a thumbhole stock but I want wood not plastic.
    I have my Maral 30-06 for driven but would like a new Blaser in .308
    I am not unhappy with my R93 it is just that I felt the thumbhole stock the other day, didn't pay a lot of attention at the time but now am almost convinced I need one !