Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: calibre question

calibre question

question would you buy a .308 rifle which is well known as a good deer calibre or what about the .260 remington which is said to be as good but with lees recoil thanks

IMO .308 - easy to find ammunition and doesn't have unmanageable recoil and I'm a wee chap. The 120-130gr offerings would do you well if you prefer light.

You'll need to handload if you go .260
    Last edited by Mauser66; 22-05-2010 at 20:56.

The answer to this will come down to whether you, as an individual want and like the .260 calibre or not (or any other calibre for that matter). If you're not sure, and can only get one calibre on your ticket (or can only afford one rifle), I'd go for .308 as it's a common calibre, easy to get hold of rounds, and easy to sell on if you later get to try another calibre that you prefer, and can get the variation done. If you're a member of a fullbore club where someone has a .260, ask to try theirs and see how you like it... Me, I'd hate to go for an unknown, untested calibre and then find myself with a calibre I didn't like (or couldn't get hold of rounds for at a reasonable price) and having to wait for a variation before I could sell (probably at a loss) and buy another rifle...

But that's just me....

Pippa

the 260 is a bit of dead duck . if you want a bit of poke get a 7mmo8 or stay with the 308 in a short action

Out of the two I would plump .308. Greater number of everything about for them. And the recoil isnt that bad, especially when compared too the fact that they can drop near as damn it everything (:

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I would go for the 308. Brilliant allrounder and when you want to move on easy to shift.

308 great allrounder, I use mine for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by discovery View Post
    question would you buy a .308 rifle which is well known as a good deer calibre or what about the .260 remington which is said to be as good but with lees recoil thanks
    Two key questions, what will you hunt? do you reload?

If you don't reload, forget the 260.

I had a 260 built as the perfect Sika and Fallow calibre for NI, or anywhere else for that matter. Mine will run a 120gr BT at 2900FPS through a 20.5" barrell.

If you are not a reloader, 6.5x55 or 308 are your options here.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

"If you are not a reloader, 6.5x55 or 308 are your options here."

True indeed. A 260 and a 6.5x55 are about the same. Three-Oh-eight is a wonderful cartridge for deer. One of my favorite deer rifles is a .308. Shoots three-shot clover leafs and has killed deer cleanly ever since I built it.~Muir

From me, another unhesitating vote for .308