Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of shooters registered to one bit of land?

Number of shooters registered to one bit of land?

So then guys, all this is theoretical.

Lets just say I own 100 acres of land that is cleared up to 308. How many people can I give permission to shoot on my land?

Can i give 50 now shooters permission slips that then allows them to apply for an FAC and a 22lr?

Lets just say all shooters have previous experience with firearms and all are capable of owning a 308, can i also give those 50 people permission on my land (if they have no other permission on other land).

Are there any limits? Are there any limits on numbers that can own a CF for sole use on my land?

The reason I ask this this is what stops me from buying some land and then writing permission slips for all my friends to acquire firearms?

Remember, this is all theoretical, just to start a debate to gain some understanding. Rather than the my mate has a mate who said.....
    Last edited by phillips321; 10-02-2016 at 11:11. Reason: internet connection dropped

In theory it's the landowner who says how many people can shoot on his land, and as far as Devon & Cornwall are concerned their interest lies in how suitable the land is for the calibre the application is for, not how many people shoot there.

I would guess though that should application after application arrive, all using the same land especially the theoretical 100 acres as the basis for granting a FAC in the first place, they may show a little more interest.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    speaking from my own experience with a bit of land I now shoot on my own,

a few years back I was laid off work and underwent a spinal op, so I thought it would be good to pass on my stalking land to a shooting buddy, when I approach the land owner to ask if this was ok he stated that it would be fine,

when I took the lad up to meet the land owner we found that the owner had a folder with everyone's details in it that he had granted permission to shoot his land, when I asked how many he had he said about 12 stalkers 3 lads who go foxing and 2 lads and 2 girls that went out with ferrets,

so a total of 19, not bad for 600 acres of mixed land,

i asked him him if he sees any of them other than myself, he replied not that much but stated I was the only one who texted him to say I was out shooting,

to to cut to the final bit that I like, was I asked if I could ring them all and check if they still used the land, low and behold only 1 other person shot the land the others where either not their anymore or had moved onwards and upwards or in fact left the area totally,

i have now just in the last 2 weeks got the land back from and with my mate to carry on shooting, so I am now back stalking and foxing for the land owners son who now runs the farm,

happier days.

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    speaking from my own experience with a bit of land I now shoot on my own,

a few years back I was laid off work and underwent a spinal op, so I thought it would be good to pass on my stalking land to a shooting buddy, when I approach the land owner to ask if this was ok he stated that it would be fine,

when I took the lad up to meet the land owner we found that the owner had a folder with everyone's details in it that he had granted permission to shoot his land, when I asked how many he had he said about 12 stalkers 3 lads who go foxing and 2 lads and 2 girls that went out with ferrets,

so a total of 19, not bad for 600 acres of mixed land,

i asked him him if he sees any of them other than myself, he replied not that much but stated I was the only one who texted him to say I was out shooting,

to to cut to the final bit that I like, was I asked if I could ring them all and check if they still used the land, low and behold only 1 other person shot the land the others where either not their anymore or had moved onwards and upwards or in fact left the area totally,

i have now just in the last 2 weeks got the land back from and with my mate to carry on shooting, so I am now back stalking and foxing for the land owners son who now runs the farm,

happier days.

bob
    The crazy thing here is that this isn't safe. With that many people on the land everyone needs to know who's about and when. For example if you text farmer and say you're out shooting the foxes tonight and he text back to say, go careful John is also out shooting them. At least you could ring john and place yourselves at different sides of the farm rather than shooting the same field. The same applies when we're pigeon shooting. All the local lads text each other to try and plan a day to bounce the pigeons around.

The police do not control shooting permission, they only control the licencing of firearms. Their only business asking anybody about land is to establish that an applicant has good reason for possession of the firearm they've applied for (both in terms of a place to shoot and presence of their intended quarry).
    For example, if you have a piece of ground cleared for all calibres you could give permission to every single FAC holder on the Stalking Directory and the police would never know (nor need to know).
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in law to prevent a landowner granting permission to as many people as he or she may wish.
    Where a piece of land is used to establish spurious 'good reason' for the grant, renewal, variation of a firearm certificate, it is know in the firearms licensing 'trade' as 'land of convenience'. It is a well known ruse and there have been court cases over it. It is nothing new and attempts should be picked up by the licensing system. An attempt to circumvent the firearms licensing legislation, depending upon the details, would constitute and offence. There was at least one conviction and several refusals/revocations relating to such activity in my experience.

I would agree with all above. The landowner or the lessee of the shooting rights should have a management plan in place to ensure the area is safe to shoot, that's nothing to do with the Firearms licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordiehillbilly View Post
    I would agree with all above. The landowner or the lessee of the shooting rights should have a management plan in place to ensure the area is safe to shoot, that's nothing to do with the Firearms licensing.
    As an example, a DIY shoot I was on of 1200 acres had 18 guns (beat one saturday shoot the next). The shoot allowed all guns to own and use firearms and the Chairman signed the necessary for the firearms people. There was a verbal system of notification to one member of the shoot so any shooter would know there was or wasnt someone else about and where and when they would be about. This system is now replaced with a better online system all guns have access to. There was and probably still is a 'firearms policy' which set out who should do what where and with what calibres, mainly for new guns. If you own the land in your hyporthetical case, it could be you that made arrangements for notification or you could pass the responsibility to a 'lead shooter'. If you charge for the shooting, make sure the responsibility for notification resides somewhere so you aren't involved but have specified it should be safe would be my advice.

Twice in the last 30 years, I have been asked to take pieces of land off my FAC because the police had queried the amount of rifle users using the land. One was on 300 acres, another was on 5,000 acres.
    Last edited by JTO; 13-02-2016 at 17:49.

A bit of land around here I know about has well over 100-200+ shooters with permission to shoot over it
    And has done for many years .
    Great for zeroing as there is a large bank about 100 yards from the field entrance.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"