Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New UK laws

New UK laws

Some material for endless chuntering

http://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releas...nd-crime-bill/

Good luck with this one then!,• A new legal requirement for the police to have regard to the Home Office guidance when carrying out their licensing function.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

This makes it easy for an individual or indeed an association to prosecute the chief constable for failing to comply. It would be cheaper than a judicial review. I doubt good reason and security for example will be included, just processes such as timely renewal and grant. it will be interesting to see how the Ministers enforce over time. HMIC may be require to monitor and report.
    Last edited by tFl; 10-02-2016 at 16:01.

This is an interesting one:

"A new offence, targeted at criminals, of the possession of articles with intent to convert an imitation into a working firearm."

It might be 'targeted' at criminals but would be applicable to anyone. What would fall within the term 'articles' - a lathe, a screwdriver? Could be rather contentious.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    This is an interesting one:

"A new offence, targeted at criminals, of the possession of articles with intent to convert an imitation into a working firearm."

It might be 'targeted' at criminals but would be applicable to anyone. What would fall within the term 'articles' - a lathe, a screwdriver? Could be rather contentious.
    It's clearly targeted at criminals, so only those wearing a stripy top and mask, and carrying a bag marked "Swag", need worry
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Presumably anyone with a computer, an internet connection and a 3D printer will be guilty of this offence

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Presumably anyone with a computer, an internet connection and a 3D printer will be guilty of this offence

Let's hope so - what we really need in this country is more and more legislation. That way eventually everyone will be guilty of something without actually being able to do anything.

Seriously, though - if there's going to be a law to enforce the HO 'Guide', some folks had better get together and sort that document out, so that the bits that currently don't make sense are altered.
    There might be those who are of the view that a law that makes the HO Guide mandatory is pretty much giving the machinations of the HO and its companions the power of law, but without their being subject to parliamentary scrutiny, dabate or vote.
    Hm.

If I may be allowed a Chesterton quotation:
    We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet,
    Yet is there no man speaketh as we speak in the street.
    Last edited by Dalua; 10-02-2016 at 18:16.

It would have been helpful for BASC to perhaps advise its members of this likely change and have listened to their concerns before seeking changes to proposals or lobbying or whatever has been claimed. There's a little too much of 'we know whats best for you' like greylag geese. Even politicians seek the views of voters - probably too much but more than not at all.

The main thing is the phrase "with intent". Any prosecution would have to PROVE that your screwdriver, 3D printer or lathe is for use making firearms for it to have any chance of success.

Seems that I'm not the only one to have some concerns regarding that one!

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com...-common-tools/