Thread: Cutting down Steyr barrel, how short?

Cutting down Steyr barrel, how short?

I have a steyr classic .308. With the moderator fitted the barrel is approximately 12 ft long. I would like it shortened, how short can I go? I have heard that 20'' is the limit before velocity really starts dropping, but have read a few a articles about 308 with 18'' barrels. Can I have it cut to 18'' without compromising accuracy or velocity. I understand that I will lose a couple hundred ft/second and experience greater bullet drop at longer range, but I rarely take anything beyond 150m. I should point out that I use factory ammo, 150gr
    Any advice? Thanks.

You are absolutely fine to get it chopped to 16"- I have a styer classic mountain in .243 which I have shortened to 16", you do lose some velocity but it makes absolutely no difference between 0-300 yards, it also reduces barrel flex which aids accuracy- also makes a much handyer rifle. Go for it you won't be dissapointed...

A 12ft long barrel................

That needs a serious chop....

My 6.5x47Lapua rifle has an 18" long barrel (without a mod on). Accuracy and velocity are fine for all practical stalking and informal target shooting purpose.

Go for it.

hh

Many thanks chaps, 18'' it is then. The mod adds 4'' so 22" length is a bit more manageable. I hope that I'll lose a few grams too and that it will handle better by bringing the weight of the mod closer to me.

I have just cut a .308 down to 16". Shoots a 168 grain Amax at 2500 fps, perfect for woodland work, +/- 1" t 150 yds. A joy to walk about with and when climbing in and out of seats. Very accurate, no need to worry on that front.
    So much to learn and so little time left

This has just made me smile as if you were suggest that these same people use a 303 Rifle they would most likely say that it was to old and slow yet that is exactly where you velocites are going to be...................... in 303 territory.

Thank you all for the smile as it is has been a pretty horrible day until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    This has just made me smile as if you were suggest that these same people use a 303 Rifle they would most likely say that it was to old and slow yet that is exactly where you velocites are going to be...................... in 303 territory.

Thank you all for the smile as it is has been a pretty horrible day until now.
    Glad we brightened your day