Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking costs

Stalking costs

I am aware that this may fall on deaf ears but I'll post it anyway as a means of dispelling some of my frustration...

I've been stalking for years, at least 15, and have enjoyed shooting and stalking on friends land in Yorkshire. I have been very fortunate. The land isn't very productive on the deer front and it's more often than not nothing more than a well armed walk than a stalk!

Work and family life are now chocka and I thought about booking some days stalking in the borders, or southernish Scotland to tide me over until the annual trip for the hinds way up north.

Streuth stalking is expensive!

Apologies for for the outburst. I'm aware of how rates are built up. It is still too expensive for me!

DC

I know what you mean but its like anything else its based around supply and demand , I am quite fortunate as I have a fair bit of my own ground but I do know there has been several people knocking at the door trying to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    I am aware that this may fall on deaf ears but I'll post it anyway as a means of dispelling some of my frustration...

I've been stalking for years, at least 15, and have enjoyed shooting and stalking on friends land in Yorkshire. I have been very fortunate. The land isn't very productive on the deer front and it's more often than not nothing more than a well armed walk than a stalk!

Work and family life are now chocka and I thought about booking some days stalking in the borders, or southernish Scotland to tide me over until the annual trip for the hinds way up north.

Apologies for for the outburst. I'm aware of how rates are built up. It is still too expensive for me!

DC
    What is to expensive??

Same here mate i would love nothing better than try different places or species but no,,,,i have tho managed to get on a piece that has deer on just roe up to now,so i,m making the most of that even if i don,t get any,,,at least i,m out there,,,atb doug,
    DONT START

Yep, just looking at stalking available and yes out of my price range as well. Roe (which I have access to) seems to be cheapest. 1 example I saw
    £75 for an outing (ok sounds reasonable)
    £125 + vat for a buck shot
    Then a chance to buy it at dealer rates? About £50 ish
    So £250 + to shoot a roe buck or £75 for a walk around.

Sorry I'll just stick to poaching 😀

(Disclaimer- last line IS a JOKE for those on here who lack a sense of humour)
    ILB

I've been lucky enough to have a few kind invitations for free shooting, but I've also paid for a fair share of outings as well. I have a personal "rule" about how much I'll spend and what I feel is good value, a lot of outfits fall outside of that, some by a very long shot, but not all. I don't have the money to buy even these cheaper outings at the drop of a hat, but they are affordable when planned for and I find I always enjoy myself because it's something I don't get to do all the time. Even when the deer/birds/bunnies don't want to join in.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Have to agree with you my friend,what gets me is in maybe 6 or 7 years of paying for various stalking outings,I have only had 2 outfits that actually,told me not to shoot as that animal was not on the cull plan.
    I do not mean out of season/wrong sex etc,
    This smacks off shoot it give me some money.
    What gets put back?
    For example,I put 200 grey partridge down just to fly one falcon at,this season we took 4 birds,ie lots of food bills,trapping,foxing,hopper filling etc,etc,
    Result,a few pairs of greys about,lots of song birds,pheasant, this is me doing for the passion of the sport.
    Not cashing in because I know a few farmers.
    This is the only reason why I am not that bothered about giving up stalking in the future.

DC
    Have you paid for a day driven pheasant recently?
    Tusker.

Many years ago when I was starting out stalking I went to a professional stalker near Taunton. Poor weather, an evening where we saw lots of Roe in apple orchards and £70 out of my pocket. Next Morning, poor weather, but spied a young Roe which looked sickly according to the stalker. I could shoot if I liked, it would be a kindness! I shot it, the gralloch showed some very unhealthy lungs, carcase condemned! Back at breakfast I was told £70 for the stalk, THEN £50 for the condemned Roe because the antlers were over 2 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never went back to him again. I considered I had been ripped off!

Jerry

DC
    I don't think you'll get much sympathy on here.