Thread: Chuffed with my new LH / RH stock

Chuffed with my new LH / RH stock

So for christmas I thought id treat my self to a left handed stock for my Right handed Sako 75. After much anxt trying to get GRS to build one for me (they do LH and they do Sako 75 III but they wouldn't put the two together????) l ended up geting a Joe West Thumb Hole Tactical stock:

Joe West Riflestocks | Tactical Rifle Stocks

When it first arrived I had a bit of a disapointment in that the adjustable stock prevented the bolt coming back far enough to eject the cartridge it also needed removing in order to remove the bolt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-01-22 17.11.41.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	66464

Joe was on it in a flash and offered to make me a new stock from scratch with the cheekpiece moved back to allow full movement of the bolt. Aparently the stock didnt take into acount Sakos Key Lock bolt system which extends the back of the bolt slightly.

I felt this was a bit of an unnessary waste and offered to just have a slot macheened in the cheekpiece with the caviet that if it looked awfull I'd then go for the new stock. I offered to cover postage for this option but Joe would have none of it and said if I didn't like it he would make a new one and cover all costs.

Then last week it turned up. JUST in time for my stalk on Saturday. Please excuse the slipers in the pictures. Fortunatly I was smoking the pipe

Name:	2016-02-05 10.16.48.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	66465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-05 10.16.27.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	66466

I was perfictly happy with the result and I can now get the bolt in and out without removing the cheekpiece as well, which is great.

Sadly Saturday didnt give me much to shoot at but I did manage to do a check zero shot and was pleased to note it was still spot on.

The adjustable cheek piece is fantastic. It brings my eye to the scope so quickly and gives a very solid feel when ready to shoot. The Thumb Hole is comfortable with bare hands and still feels good even with my Seeland Keeper gloves on which I was a tad concerned about. The combination realy inspiers confidance

So much so I thought id have a quick couple of rounds at 200m to see what I could do.

Realy happy with the result (ignore 200m HMR attempts)

Name:	243 200m.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	66467

All in all I am over the moon with my new stock. Only down side is its heavy in comparison to the standard Sako Synthetic stock but If your a leftie like me and have had to put up with shooting a RH Sako stock you will know how frustrating it can be to have such an amazing rifel feel awkward on set up.

I have decided to leave my 308 Tika LH Stainless Synthetic and use that as my walk and stalk rifel. The 308 is slightly shorter much lighter and if I am off sticks I prefer the 308 for less than perfict heart shots

But 90%+ of my shooting is high seat and for that the only choice for me from now on is my Joe West Sako 75

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 10-02-2016 at 20:51.

Glad to hear you now very happy with it .

Well good for you, but Iíve never been able to understand the sense or the logic of a left-handed shooter grappling with a right-handed action if they didnít have to. The Sako 75 LH was available to suit you.

The angst youíve had shows that much of the stocking industry has the same reservations. They arenít inundated with requests from RH shooters wanting LH actions.

Others might be impressed, and might want to follow in your footsteps. Some like me will wonder how much all this cost, and whether it was an 'unneccessary waste'.

Your last paragraph infers that for you a match rifle configuration is now necessary for high seat shooting .... so will this new found bit of kit justify stretching the range from say 150 yds by an extra 100, 200, or 300 yards? This account leaves out too many details for me, but always willing to learn.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I'm glad you have it sorted to your satisfaction, also good to hear of the very positive response of Joe in getting things sorted.

After watching a candidate on my DSC1 fail the shooting test because he was expected to use a RH thumbhole stock (he had highlighted the fact that he was LHd) I can understand your frustrations.

Well done

I am a leftie too, but my son is a right hander. This means that I cannot have a GRS or similarly styled right hand stock and he would not be able to use an equivalent left hand stock. For me, an ambi or left hand hunter stock on a right hand action is an ideal solution, giving me a little more "leftiness", while still being shootable by others. These are hard to find. The other problem with buying left hand actioned rifles is they tend to be more expensive to buy, but lose more or are far harder to sell.

Regards

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Well good for you, but I’ve never been able to understand the sense or the logic of a left-handed shooter grappling with a right-handed action if they didn’t have to. The Sako 75 LH was available to suit you.

The angst you’ve had shows that much of the stocking industry has the same reservations. They aren’t inundated with requests from RH shooters wanting LH actions.

Others might be impressed, and might want to follow in your footsteps. Some like me will wonder how much all this cost, and whether it was an 'unneccessary waste'.

Your last paragraph infers that for you a match rifle configuration is now necessary for high seat shooting .... so will this new found bit of kit justify stretching the range from say 150 yds by an extra 100, 200, or 300 yards? This account leaves out too many details for me, but always willing to learn.

If you were a LH shooter you would understand. I have been rifel shooting for 34 years and only last year got my first ever LH bolt rifel

I find it odd to use having been shooting RH since my Lee Enfield days

The act of ejecting a shell on a RH rifel is instinctive for me as a lefty. I just use my right hand for the bolt and suport the rifel with my left. This works on sticks, bi pod, on a tree and obviously on a high seat. The only thing its in any way hard on is a freestanding shot

You would laugh if you saw me funbling for the bolt with my RH on my LH Tikka

NO its not the bolt that pisses off a leftie, its the cheek piece being in the wrong place and on the Sako its paticularly bad. There are ambidextrous rifels out ther but the stocks I have tried so far have been a bit naff

The last paragraph infers its a heavy outfit for walk and stalk, but that the weight dosent bother me for high seat. High seat I head shoot only so accuracy is very important to me

When I tried out my Sako 243 at 200m I also had a go with my Tikka 308

Which as you can see I didnt get the same great results with at 200. I have found this over and over again. I am trying diferent loads and bullits with the 308 but its a slow process. I tried 150g PPU, 150g Firochoi BTs 150g Sako Hammerheads (best so far) 150g Hornaday and now 125g Nozler BTs running on 47g of N140.

Name:	308 200m.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	66527

They do not make a LH stainless Sako75 only the Hunter in blued barrel. I have been trying to get a LH stainless synthetic that wasent a Tika for 18 months now. I was hopfull when Browning launched one but that was over a year ago and Richard (UK Browning importer) still hasent been able to sorce one

I realy like the Sako 75. It worked streight out of the box with Federal Power Shock 100g and Nozler BTs in 75g over 40g Vargent I have never needed to experiment or develop loads, its just spot on.

If the Tikka had been the same I could possably have sold the sako and got two LH tikkas but i hate the Tikka stock so I would have changed it for a GRS or simila which would have cost me more than the Joe west stock I just purchased and am very happy with.

ATB
    Last edited by Chasey; 12-02-2016 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by markyw View Post
    I am a leftie too, but my son is a right hander. This means that I cannot have a GRS or similarly styled right hand stock and he would not be able to use an equivalent left hand stock. For me, an ambi or left hand hunter stock on a right hand action is an ideal solution, giving me a little more "leftiness", while still being shootable by others. These are hard to find. The other problem with buying left hand actioned rifles is they tend to be more expensive to buy, but lose more or are far harder to sell.

Regards

Mark

I dont have massive stalking experiance but I do have a lot of rifel shooting experiance so I take out trainees on range days and mentor them when high seat stalking. Some dont have rifels so need to borrow my one.

It takes 5mins to take the Joe West stock off and put the old RH synthetic stock on. I trid it twice and it didnt affect the zero in any way

If there is an issue with the thumbholes of the GRS or Joe West Tac design its that I cant swap from LH shot to RH shot easily when I get a deer crossing the ride hard on my left. You can do it but its reely uncomfortable

That said unless there are two in the seat I can usualy manage to get round enough LH but when I am with a RH shot in the double, I just have to let him shoot across me and take it.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    If you were a LH shooter you would understand. I have been rifel shooting for 34 years and only last year got my first ever LH bolt rifel

I find it odd to use having been shooting RH since my Lee Enfield days

The act of ejecting a shell on a RH rifel is instinctive for me as a lefty. I just use my right hand for the bolt and suport the rifel with my left. This works on sticks, bi pod, on a tree and obviously on a high seat. The only thing its in any way hard on is a freestanding shot

You would laugh if you saw me funbling for the bolt with my RH on my LH Tikka

NO its not the bolt that pisses off a leftie, its the cheek piece being in the wrong place and on the Sako its paticularly bad. There are ambidextrous rifels out ther but the stocks I have tried so far have been a bit naff

The last paragraph infers its a heavy outfit for walk and stalk, but that the weight dosent bother me for high seat. High seat I head shoot only so accuracy is very important to me

When I tried out my Sako 243 at 200m I also had a go with my Tikka 308

Which as you can see I didnt get the same great results with at 200. I have found this over and over again. I am trying diferent loads and bullits with the 308 but its a slow process. I tried 150g PPU, 150g Firochoi BTs 150g Sako Hammerheads (best so far) 150g Hornaday and now 125g Nozler BTs running on 47g of N140.

They do not make a LH stainless Sako75 only the Hunter in blued barrel. I have been trying to get a LH stainless synthetic that wasent a Tika for 18 months now. I was hopfull when Browning launched one but that was over a year ago and Richard (UK Browning importer) still hasent been able to sorce one

I realy like the Sako 75. It worked streight out of the box with Federal Power Shock 100g and Nozler BTs in 75g over 40g Vargent I have never needed to experiment or develop loads, its just spot on.

If the Tikka had been the same I could possably have sold the sako and got two LH tikkas but i hate the Tikka stock so I would have changed it for a GRS or simila which would have cost me more than the Joe west stock I just purchased and am very happy with.

ATB
    Your opening lines are an excursion into the surreal for me, but ‘googling’ my site name will explain.

After reading your narrative I don’t quite understand why a left-hand rifle hasn’t turned up in 34 years. This by a weird coincidence is also how long I’ve had an FAC. There’s now a cabinet-full in CZ, Heym, and Tikka, all owned from new & still in use in their original form. Fortunately there isn’t a T3 LH amongst them. I know what you mean about the stock & other features.

We evidently differ over the need to adapt to a wrong-sided action, and on the practice of head-shooting. I was curious about the cost and the reason for the odd LH Competition stock fitted to a RH action, but now understand. Thanks for replying. ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.